About Me

My photo
The older I get the better I was... but after many years of idle burrowing the candle of desire is still burning and I have come to realise that running is as much a part of me as my heart and lungs... In Christmas 2008 I was 82kg and was not running a step..This is my journey , the journey of the wombat...Dogged...determined...persistent...and maybe a little grumpy.. but like the wombat my journey is territorial, its about running and I am going to work to protect it...Come along for the ride and see if I can become the wombat warrior. 2009 was a mixed bag for the wombat's journey.A top ten placing in both the Bridges and the City Surf brought a small sense of achievement but also a degree of frustration.... I think I can do better and better I will in 2010. A better run in the Busso Half iron man in support of TV in his swim and bike ride and that was about the extent of my racing. Lets see what happens in 2010 as "My journey Continues". Now in 2011 the wombat will continue his journey, but not alone the wombat has a youngling who knows how to dig. 2015 and its a new beginning , time goes on and the journey to the 2016 World Masters is under way.

Friday, March 13, 2009


The Year was 2008 and the wombat was trying to emerge.

I started the year with good intentions and had hoped to be back racing at least on a state level. Instead I only managed to clock a mere 754 miles for the year. 173 for January, 186 for February,261 for March, 78 in April, 13 in May and 45 in July. The year started out slowly initially with 1 mile a day then 2 miles then 3 and then two runs of 3 miles a day. long runs of 10 miles crept back and I began to feel like a runner. I introduced one session a week in February and continued this into March.

In April I lined up for the Bridges and felt confident...On this day the wombat came out to play and cost me dearly. Selecting to run in racing flats rather than trainers and a savage 3.04s first km say the arse of this little wombat beginning drag. Holding position through to 6km my right calf cramped badly and I pulled up, some light stretching and back onto the path but the damage was done.. The calf bruised the wombat deserted me. I nursed my calf home worried about tearing it only to have it cramp again in the final km. There were no excused I toed the line and was beaten soundly finishing in a solid 34m3s but disappointed in myself.


The lip dropped for the next few weeks and token runs began to fill the diary. A token run for the wombat warrior is 2 miles or less and let me tell you I did a few of these..(reminded me of the time I ran on the spot in my bedroom just so I could say I had not missed a day's training.)

Committed myself to helping a mate out in the Busso Iron man in may and tried to get focussed again.

Covering 56 miles in the time between this run and May 2nd I covered a piss poor 56 miles.. not nearly enough to run a half marathon. A trip across Australia in the car and a spasmed ham string only added to my depression and after the may race the towel was thrown into the ring....

A brief stint in in July then not another step until a race in the blackwood marathon and then finally the wombat went back into hibernation....

1 comment:

  1. Awesome to see some WA running royalty on blogger. I just figured out who you are, you are one of the truly elite ones who inspires thousands of us with the incredible performances you have done over many years, and you have shown us all the path to international selection that can be taken by the best from the west, by those who are good enough and brave/persistent enough. I know we can all learn heaps from yourself, no matter whether we are A,B,C,D grade or whatever... Way to go!

    ReplyDelete