About Me

My photo
The older I get the better I was... but after many years of idle burrowing the candle of desire is still burning and I have come to realise that running is as much a part of me as my heart and lungs... In Christmas 2008 I was 82kg and was not running a step..This is my journey , the journey of the wombat...Dogged...determined...persistent...and maybe a little grumpy.. but like the wombat my journey is territorial, its about running and I am going to work to protect it...Come along for the ride and see if I can become the wombat warrior. 2009 was a mixed bag for the wombat's journey.A top ten placing in both the Bridges and the City Surf brought a small sense of achievement but also a degree of frustration.... I think I can do better and better I will in 2010. A better run in the Busso Half iron man in support of TV in his swim and bike ride and that was about the extent of my racing. Lets see what happens in 2010 as "My journey Continues". Now in 2011 the wombat will continue his journey, but not alone the wombat has a youngling who knows how to dig. 2015 and its a new beginning , time goes on and the journey to the 2016 World Masters is under way.

Monday, March 30, 2009

The Wombat looks for the Zone....

Its like riding a bike, no matter how long you hang the shoes up for some things just come to you as second nature...
This Sunday is the Bridges Fun Run and while I have my own personal goals to achieve( which means the only pressure that exists is that which I put on myself. ) I am finding that 5 days out I am falling back into the routine that I established for myself many years ago prior to a race. Already during my runs I am running various race scenarios through my head and running dialogues of race outcomes. Last nights session was solid and controlled. At home I am withdrawing into myself and zoning in on running well with very little mental energy being expended on anything else.
Mrs Wombat has also noticed it and is finding that we sit in the same room and I don't talk. I am already thinking about my next run.
I can guarantee that Saturday night's meal will be ham and pineapple pizza, a garlic bread and 600ml coke. Friday and Saturday's runs will be very stead and a matter of going through the motions and Thursday's session will be sharp but very controlled.
It is important that you establish routines prior to racing, not routines that you are superstitious about to the point that if you don't do them you stress but more from the point of view that the routine helps you start to focus on the job at hand. The routine helps you focus your mind and clear the clutter. It is a time , like I have already started doing, to create situations that may occur in the race and run through ways that you will react to the situation when and if happens. This helps you to not panic when things in races do change because you are already , subconsciously anyway, prepared for them.....This is what makes the difference between a good runner and a champion. Look at Lance Armstrong face when he is zoned, Tiger Woods, the Shark, De Castella, Coe, Ovett , McCann, Saville, Deakes, the list goes on.. all these athletes had a game face.
Find your Zone Wombats Warriors its time to race..
Barrel on wombats...

1 comment:

  1. I know that "in the zone" feeling, wish I was there more often, was there for Melbourne Marathon (2007 and 2008) and the 2008 40 miler, and of course at probably every nationals I did as a racewalker, and for my 10k walk state record attempts..., really cool to read about it...Hope the bridges went well for you, sounded like there was some big names out there today....Shane Scott,Todd Ingraham to name two...

    ReplyDelete