About Me

My photo
The older I get the better I was... but after many years of idle burrowing the candle of desire is still burning and I have come to realise that running is as much a part of me as my heart and lungs... In Christmas 2008 I was 82kg and was not running a step..This is my journey , the journey of the wombat...Dogged...determined...persistent...and maybe a little grumpy.. but like the wombat my journey is territorial, its about running and I am going to work to protect it...Come along for the ride and see if I can become the wombat warrior. 2009 was a mixed bag for the wombat's journey.A top ten placing in both the Bridges and the City Surf brought a small sense of achievement but also a degree of frustration.... I think I can do better and better I will in 2010. A better run in the Busso Half iron man in support of TV in his swim and bike ride and that was about the extent of my racing. Lets see what happens in 2010 as "My journey Continues". Now in 2011 the wombat will continue his journey, but not alone the wombat has a youngling who knows how to dig. 2015 and its a new beginning , time goes on and the journey to the 2016 World Masters is under way.

Sunday, March 15, 2009

Well wombat followers a week end of mixed success, however even through a pathetic effort on the Saturday I can still officially say that I have not missed a day's running since new year. (One small consolation).


As I said in my Thursday post the magic hands of Nathan Doig have done their work and I feel freer and smoother than I have for a long while. I Know that I will have to visit Mr magic fingers again soon because there are still many knots still to go but I have made a start.....


OK back to the running... Friday was down to Perry Lakes to see Courtney Carter win the state 5000m track title in 14m53s, very comfortable and very smooth. managed to get in 1 mile prior to the race, then finished of with another lazy 5 miles by colling down with Marc S, Courts and Ethan. Actually did a wombat and snuck onto the new track and ran a lap of that setting an unofficial track record for the 400m That should stand at least until someone actually races on it. :))))


Saturday was my pathetic bit and hardly earns the right to call myself a wombat.. Ran 1 mile... yes I know , why bother putting the shoes on, but simply by getting out the door I won the mind game battle that we all go through when trying to establish a habit.

Watched "Fire On The Track" The Steve Prefontaine Story while doing the ironing (yes even wombats need to do the chores) Now this is one guy that actually earns the title "WOMBAT WARRIOR"


Sunday was significantly better. Morning run with David Suiter of 7 miles through Helena Valley,steady Pace and steady run. Shot over to Perry lakes to watch the open men's 1500m final. Great race.Marc See Won in 3m50s with Courtney Carter going 3m54s (64/64/59/47). ran another 6 miles with Courts through and around Perry Lakes and up Reabold Hill. Steady and even again. felt good and very smooth.

Evening run from my burrow.. a lazy 2 miles to turn the legs over. This gives me a 15 mile day and I still feel good...maybe just maybe things are coming good...

Still doing exercises that Doigy gave me...MAN I HATE STRETCHING AND ADDITIONAL EXERCISES other than running.

Well for anyone following this... Barrel on...and SHOW US YOUR WOMBAT.

1 comment:

  1. Saw something in the paper with a photo of some bloke doing a long jump at the new track, very keen to run on it when it officially opens...good to hear doigy is working his magic, might have to visit there myself, some day,especially if my dodgy hammy doesnt settle...great times in the 1500m and 5000m from Courtney and Marc! 15 miles is a good days running!

    ReplyDelete