About Me

My photo
The older I get the better I was... but after many years of idle burrowing the candle of desire is still burning and I have come to realise that running is as much a part of me as my heart and lungs... In Christmas 2008 I was 82kg and was not running a step..This is my journey , the journey of the wombat...Dogged...determined...persistent...and maybe a little grumpy.. but like the wombat my journey is territorial, its about running and I am going to work to protect it...Come along for the ride and see if I can become the wombat warrior. 2009 was a mixed bag for the wombat's journey.A top ten placing in both the Bridges and the City Surf brought a small sense of achievement but also a degree of frustration.... I think I can do better and better I will in 2010. A better run in the Busso Half iron man in support of TV in his swim and bike ride and that was about the extent of my racing. Lets see what happens in 2010 as "My journey Continues". Now in 2011 the wombat will continue his journey, but not alone the wombat has a youngling who knows how to dig. 2015 and its a new beginning , time goes on and the journey to the 2016 World Masters is under way.

Friday, March 27, 2009

Go the Wombat and the shirtless wonders...

The scary thing about running around men without shirts is that if the weather suddenly turns cold someone is going to lose an eye... Lucky for me the session was hot.

Tough night for the warriors but an honest effort..1000m x 5 with a 500 float..Kicked off with a steady but firm 3.20. The adrenaline was pumping :) Settled into a small pack and barrelled along with this group for the night. We could see that pack up ahead and they were working honestly by staying up with one another and ensuring that if someone got slack and eased back there was another set of legs ready to take up the work.

back with the wombat we went through the first Km then hit the 500 recovery. Lost of talking and words of encouragement . Those with their shirts on were looking strong , those with their shorts off were shining. The 500 was a matter of getting your breath back ASAP then quickly settling back into a good rhythm and being ready to hit the next 1000m surge. This came around too quickly for my liking but with the grasshopper missing its was time for the 'WOMBAT'

The second 1000 was a more settled affair, adrenaline was gone and now we were working. The wombat was making sure that those behind him were not going to drop off and fall into a state of rut running by offer kind words of encouragement " Don't you let go" and "Come on slack arse get up here" maybe not Kevin Sheedy stuff but considering wombats don't actually talk , not a bad effort all the same. The next 500 was a sight to be seen and a quick glance around the group saw the shirts off virus spreading... I was a little concerned that the group would end up naked by the end of the session. As a visual learner I quickly wiped that thought from my mind...

The third and fourth ks passed without incident and the pace was consistent . The last once saw some digging and potential wombat material coming out of a few guys (with their shirts off) I noticed no one was smiling, me included. We went into the last rep with a feeling of mixed emotions , the last one, gotta keep it honest and so we did. The temptation to let myself and that of my semi clad companion slip into a just get this done state seemed such as easy option but this was not going to happen. The wombat never says never and tonight was not the night with Busso around the corner we were working. A call of get up here was replied with a grunt or single syllable reply, my companion was working and I was finding it harder to look good and smooth...When your a wombat appearances are everything... A hard left hander and down the final section to the finish post before the final 500 recovery... We made it and I had managed to keep my shirt on, others had not still l always be another time.

All in all a good night of running and I can write in my diary that I have completed the longest session of 1000s in many years.. Long Live the Wombat..and watch out grasshopper we are closing the gap :))

Barrel on Wombats.....

1 comment:

  1. sounds like an awesome session... wish I was there (and able to keep up)...maybe one day I will get it togther and be able to crank out sub 3.30's again...brings back memories of 10k rep sessions shooting for a state record 10k walk in the early 90's at Coker park...way to go!!!

    ReplyDelete