About Me

My photo
The older I get the better I was... but after many years of idle burrowing the candle of desire is still burning and I have come to realise that running is as much a part of me as my heart and lungs... In Christmas 2008 I was 82kg and was not running a step..This is my journey , the journey of the wombat...Dogged...determined...persistent...and maybe a little grumpy.. but like the wombat my journey is territorial, its about running and I am going to work to protect it...Come along for the ride and see if I can become the wombat warrior. 2009 was a mixed bag for the wombat's journey.A top ten placing in both the Bridges and the City Surf brought a small sense of achievement but also a degree of frustration.... I think I can do better and better I will in 2010. A better run in the Busso Half iron man in support of TV in his swim and bike ride and that was about the extent of my racing. Lets see what happens in 2010 as "My journey Continues". Now in 2011 the wombat will continue his journey, but not alone the wombat has a youngling who knows how to dig. 2015 and its a new beginning , time goes on and the journey to the 2016 World Masters is under way.

Monday, March 30, 2009

Wombats do bounce back...

Yeah baby...fantastic session with great group....


Easy warm up with the group and felt good.... Tonight ran solid yet even. Started out with an approximate 1.6km sustained surge around the outside of Hyde park then a 90 second rest. This was followed with a sustained surge around the two lakes with a 90 second rest then finally a sustained surge around the smallest of the two lakes and then a 3 minute rest before repeating the set.

I felt strong tonight although early into the first rep I had a mild mental attack of wondering whether I could breathe or not. (the mind games after a scare) Once I got over this it was away..

The key to a session like tonight is making sure that the surge is fast enough to put you at your limit without going over and putting you at a pace that you can't maintain throughout the rep. Obviously as the rep gets shorter in distance then it also gets faster because you are able to maintain a faster speed over the shorter distance. The benefit also of working in a tight pack is that you can encourage each other to stay on the group and keep it honest.

you see if you train hard to stay in contact then in the race you know what you have to do to stay in contact and you will dig that little bit when you need to hang in there to get through a tough section of the race. If you don't do it in training how will you be able to prepare for it in a race. In other words you need to "PRACTISE THE WOMBAT".

Remember training is just that 'training' In other words you are preparing yourself for things that may occur in a race as well as getting fast and strong.
If you find that in training when you start to tire and let yourself lose contact with the group or your partner then that's the kind of mental state that you will take into racing.

If you practice being the wombat training then being the wombat in races becomes second nature.

barrel on wombats...

No comments:

Post a Comment