About Me

My photo
The older I get the better I was... but after many years of idle burrowing the candle of desire is still burning and I have come to realise that running is as much a part of me as my heart and lungs... In Christmas 2008 I was 82kg and was not running a step..This is my journey , the journey of the wombat...Dogged...determined...persistent...and maybe a little grumpy.. but like the wombat my journey is territorial, its about running and I am going to work to protect it...Come along for the ride and see if I can become the wombat warrior. 2009 was a mixed bag for the wombat's journey.A top ten placing in both the Bridges and the City Surf brought a small sense of achievement but also a degree of frustration.... I think I can do better and better I will in 2010. A better run in the Busso Half iron man in support of TV in his swim and bike ride and that was about the extent of my racing. Lets see what happens in 2010 as "My journey Continues". Now in 2011 the wombat will continue his journey, but not alone the wombat has a youngling who knows how to dig. 2015 and its a new beginning , time goes on and the journey to the 2016 World Masters is under way.

Friday, March 27, 2009

The Wombat and the magic hands.....

The hands , not the hands, the elbow not the elbow....and the chase is on...Its the phone call that had to be made and with a tear in my eye I made the booking. I was sweating before I stepped in through the door... this time the wombat was taking his shirt off for the session, it was going to be tough an hour of blood sweat and tears.....MASSAGE TIME....


This element of running is so over looked by runners and massage is not something that should be considered and undertaken by only the elite. The massage provides a chance to get rid of knots and problems before they become a huge issue and sideline you through injury... As an older running wombat I see it as more important than when I was young and sprightly.

The Doig myster is always friendly and smiles when you enter the room but beneath that warm exterior is a man who knows his trade..."To seek out your sore spots and play with them until his fingers embed themselves up to the third knuckle".

Laying my battered warrior's body on the slab I felt a deep chill of dread creep through me .. The pleasure of the pain... but with the bridges coming up shortly this was the time to get the knots out , I would have a weekend to get the bruising out that comes with deep tissue massage and then hit my stride in the days leading up to the event with a renewed feeling of confidence... This boy was good , he knew it, I knew it and he knew I knew it but bugger me if I was going to let on that I knew that he knew that I knew it...

The legs felt better as he ran his bony phalanges through my slow twitch but this soon changed as the first knot was found and worked...I tried to relax and fought the urge to tense..there was dust in the room , my eyes were filling with water as I held back the tears, I needed to fart,I was sweating profusely (hey shedding weight, who needs a sauna just get a massage)..

At one point I opened my eyes and glanced at my torturer... he had his elbow in my hip , his feet resting on the widow sill as he appeared to be in the plank position for core stability work and he was SMILING.. do I stab him now?, ... No wait until he has finished his job then crush him like a bug... Removing himself from my leg a sense of relief washed through me... Damn this boy was good... I shook his hand (crush him now my brain screamed..no I would need this lad later if I was to continue my journey , the journey of the wombat warrior.) ... Instead I said thanks, see you again soon... I know , he knew I'd be back , I had enjoyed it in a sick kind of way..

Barrel on wombats... Look out Carter the Wombat Warrior is coming for you.......

Do yourself a favour followers get yourself a massage, believe you me it works wonders and if it keeps you on the trails for longer and helps you cover the ground quicker then its gotta be good.

By the way I ran easy tonight, I was sore , knew I would be but I also know that coming out of the tunnel I'll be better off for it...

See you again soon Mr Doig.....and I know where you live (sinister smile and creepy laughing)

No comments:

Post a Comment