About Me

My photo
The older I get the better I was... but after many years of idle burrowing the candle of desire is still burning and I have come to realise that running is as much a part of me as my heart and lungs... In Christmas 2008 I was 82kg and was not running a step..This is my journey , the journey of the wombat...Dogged...determined...persistent...and maybe a little grumpy.. but like the wombat my journey is territorial, its about running and I am going to work to protect it...Come along for the ride and see if I can become the wombat warrior. 2009 was a mixed bag for the wombat's journey.A top ten placing in both the Bridges and the City Surf brought a small sense of achievement but also a degree of frustration.... I think I can do better and better I will in 2010. A better run in the Busso Half iron man in support of TV in his swim and bike ride and that was about the extent of my racing. Lets see what happens in 2010 as "My journey Continues". Now in 2011 the wombat will continue his journey, but not alone the wombat has a youngling who knows how to dig. 2015 and its a new beginning , time goes on and the journey to the 2016 World Masters is under way.

Thursday, April 30, 2009

A real Wombat Warrior.....


Sometimes it is in the most unlikely places that we are able to draw inspiration... There are not many reality TV shows that I actually get into but the Australian biggest loser series has been one...
I have watched with up most admiration the struggles of Bob and even went as far as picking him as the winner. What drew me to this guy, what did I see that so many other Australians also saw in him?
It was not his size, although that was the reason he was on the show...
It was not his smile, which apart from when he was busting his guts, was never far from the surface..
It was his down right wombat determination, his never say die attitude and his ability to push himself time and time again...
This series had a few people like that but is was Bob's down to earth approach that won me over. I would sit down with my two young wombats and say to them "this guy is a wombat warrior, he digs deep when the tank is empty and he keeps getting up..."
This series had a number of people that anyone could draw inspiration from and even this old wombat found it fantastic to see people achieving goals each day..
That's what life is about , getting out there and giving it a go... I know I don't want to just have life pass me by, I want to be able to actively participate in it, give it a go so that when I pull myself up onto one arm and say to my mates who have gathered round me that they can "tan me hide when I've died" that it will be something they will be proud to do cause it will be a tough hide not a powdery puff soft and fluffy never been ridden hide...
Anyway I digress... Covered 4 miles tonight and felt pretty good in the process, tomorrow will be a lazy 3 miler and then the Busso half on Saturday which will only mean I am running 9 miles further than I have run in the past 20 days... Should be an interesting outing when I am also keen to do better than the 1hr 27minutes I ran last year... maybe even take Carter on over the distance... BRING IT ON!!!!!!!!
Set yourself a small goal every day and work to achieving it...
Those who can't....try
those who try.... can
those who can...do
Or as Bob said on the biggest loser " There is no try , only do"
Even Yodi said " Do or Do not there is no try"
Barrel on Wombats....

2 comments:

  1. What will entice the warrior in the wombat after the Half I? Perth Half, City to to Surf Marathon?

    ReplyDelete
  2. very inspirational stuff from Bob, that show has inspired my wife a lot! I liked the commando segments a lot, and saw in the paper Bob is a retired sarge from north of bunbury WA, have to visit his roadhouse one day, cool pic! Look forward to hearing what barreling speed you hit in the Busso Half!

    ReplyDelete