About Me

My photo
The older I get the better I was... but after many years of idle burrowing the candle of desire is still burning and I have come to realise that running is as much a part of me as my heart and lungs... In Christmas 2008 I was 82kg and was not running a step..This is my journey , the journey of the wombat...Dogged...determined...persistent...and maybe a little grumpy.. but like the wombat my journey is territorial, its about running and I am going to work to protect it...Come along for the ride and see if I can become the wombat warrior. 2009 was a mixed bag for the wombat's journey.A top ten placing in both the Bridges and the City Surf brought a small sense of achievement but also a degree of frustration.... I think I can do better and better I will in 2010. A better run in the Busso Half iron man in support of TV in his swim and bike ride and that was about the extent of my racing. Lets see what happens in 2010 as "My journey Continues". Now in 2011 the wombat will continue his journey, but not alone the wombat has a youngling who knows how to dig. 2015 and its a new beginning , time goes on and the journey to the 2016 World Masters is under way.

Monday, April 20, 2009

The age of the Wombat...

So as we get older we get slower, as we get older we should stop pushing and even slow down....Let me think about this one...Thought about it and the wombat has come to the conclusion that its bullshit...!!!

I believe that as you get older just keep doing what you are doing, your body will slow you down if it thinks it can't do it... As as we get older I think some of us get tougher. I know that I can cope with a lot more discomfort now than I could when I was a younger athlete. I don't know if that is a strength thing or a stubbornness thing or maybe its just me, but I would love to have been paid a dollar for every time I heard someone say "She's a tough old girl." or " He's a tough old bastard" I can think of two runners who were tough as nails in fact Jim Langford who the Wombat Warrior admires considerably still is one of the toughest bastards I have had the pleasure of running against. He still competes and whenever you see him on the start line you know that he will be in the lead group somewhere. He's just tough. Anne Shaw , who is no longer with us , also falls into that tough as nails category and even in my prime I had to work if I warmed up with her she just ran flat out.

When I went to hospital the other day and saw the doctor he said that because I am getting older I should remember that I can't push myself like I used to and that you should not expect to be able to go as hard on yourself as you once used to... Now I understand that this doctor does not know me and given that we were in emergency did not know my medical history or life history however ever he did know I was 42 and he was telling me to slow down I can only imagine that if I was 50 he may have told me to make sure I had a nap at midday too. (maybe a little harsh.) Now on the Tuesday I got in to see my own GP and said to him " Maybe I need to slow down a little and not do as much" his response...." Why? I think that is what some people say to justify why they do less and then ultimately they do even less" Way to go doc!!!! In other words keep doing what your doing and enjoy doing what you are doing...

This morning I went to my mail box out the front of my burrow and inside was the latest 'Runner's World ' magazine and inside it was an article on getting older as a distance runner..Now while it did say that as you get older your max heart rate drops it went on to say that there was no reason why as you get older you cant keep running Pbs over the longer distances.. Sure I am going to lose a little bit of my speed and so the 10k might slow but I don't need to maintain a 2.50k rating to run a 2.10 marathon...

Maybe the universe it tuned into my doubtfulness at present and so I am getting all these signs to say age is in the mind but at least it gives us older wombats the kind of inspiration we need to get out there and continuing to give it our all. Sure as hell beats lying down and watching the world go by, I'd rather be and active participant...

So those older wombat warriors don't despair there is plenty of fight left in you yet, and if you ever line up and see Jim Langford standing on the line I hope your prepared to give 100% because he gives 110%..

Remember set your goal, plan a strategy then go for it. If it does not work out then before throwing in the towel look at your strategy maybe you need to revise it then you can try again... If you expect to fail I doubt whether you will disappoint yourself.... There are those who will use defeat as a learning tool while there are others who will use it as a reason to stop ... which one will you be

Barrel on wombats...

4 comments:

  1. Maybee that doctor needs to have a word with James Kosgei, he was running with the lead pack in the Boston Marathon yesterday and he is 40! Went through the half in 1.03.40

    http://www.letsrun.com/photos/2009/bostonmarathon09/imagepages/image20.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. A top read Wombat. Although i dont know Jim personally, I am aware of how committed he is to running.
    Its interesting how everyone reacts to setbacks and reading this last thread it looks like you've turned it into a positive experience. Thats the difference between Winners and Losers.

    Not too deep i hope.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wombat. I met a non-Wombat that diagnosed my hamstring tightness as tendonitis and, based upon my 10k time, suggested I give up running. 2 weeks ago I was lucky enough to meet an old wombat who had been told he needed a knee replacement. He was doing 400m laps going on his theory, it can't make it worse, but it could make it better. I guess not everybody can be wombats.

    ReplyDelete
  4. agreed..I remember Anne Shaw...My racewalking coach still puts in the 20k-30k long one on the weekend in his 80's, which is why he won Gold at the National Masters the other year...its a total load of crap this stuff about oh you cant get back to what you were doing in the past...a doctor told me in 2000 not to run with my injuries, and I ignored that advice, and as a result have now run 7 marathons and a few ultras, and a stack of halfs...yeah sure you may lose the 10k and shorter edge a little, but plenty of world class marathoners in their late 30's and 40's...didnt a romanian women aged 38 win the marathon in Beijing or osaka in the last year or so...Kerry Junna saxby, was world class til early 40's, Monaghetti, the list goes on and on of 40-60 years youngs who prove that age does not weary us as quickly as many think, if we choose a better quality of life...its like the 80-90 something bloke in that TV ad running past all the gravesites of his friends (who stopped running), he is literally running for the continuation of his life...sort out any injuries, and continue to Run 4 your life!, or swim,cycle,play tennis or do something thats what I think...

    ReplyDelete