About Me

My photo
The older I get the better I was... but after many years of idle burrowing the candle of desire is still burning and I have come to realise that running is as much a part of me as my heart and lungs... In Christmas 2008 I was 82kg and was not running a step..This is my journey , the journey of the wombat...Dogged...determined...persistent...and maybe a little grumpy.. but like the wombat my journey is territorial, its about running and I am going to work to protect it...Come along for the ride and see if I can become the wombat warrior. 2009 was a mixed bag for the wombat's journey.A top ten placing in both the Bridges and the City Surf brought a small sense of achievement but also a degree of frustration.... I think I can do better and better I will in 2010. A better run in the Busso Half iron man in support of TV in his swim and bike ride and that was about the extent of my racing. Lets see what happens in 2010 as "My journey Continues". Now in 2011 the wombat will continue his journey, but not alone the wombat has a youngling who knows how to dig. 2015 and its a new beginning , time goes on and the journey to the 2016 World Masters is under way.

Sunday, April 12, 2009

Monday 13th.....World record

Morning session..... Blowing a gale around the burrow this morning, has been since yesterday morning. Woke feeling really good and to top it off the right Achilles was not reminding me that it was a part of my body.
Did my 90 calf raises and drops at level one for the rehabilitation program. (thanks for this Jo) and then headed out of the burrow for a light morning run before the session tonight...

Started out easy but felt good, too good, picked up the tempo and skipped along a little faster.. Was stoked that I was feeling this good on a morning run, I'm a wombat I hate mornings being an evening creature when I find I just travel better over the ground.. I came out of the track and hit the bitumen. Another glance at the watch, up on time, this was good. Kick down a little more.. Out past Wedge tail Road through the round about and up over Kangaroo Rise back onto the gravel. Now I was heading into the wind. Thinks Wombat, I'm low to the ground , the wind is not an issue. Another glance at the watch. Oh yeah this is going to be a PB for the course.. (Steady on big fella the session is tonight) No bugga that I might not feel this good again over this course. Head down arse up (toughened arse that is).. Down off the gravel and through the round about, left past the winery (wonder when that will be opening, wonder what the wine will taste like) come on concentrate slack your on a world record for the course. Down Beacon Road and onto the gravel again, surge just before the hill past the little dogs... 3..2..1.. and out they come barking, like the scene from American Flyer's the speed session starts, you'll never catch me you canine fiends your legs are to small and today I'm much too fast. Over the rise and onto the bitumen, I can smell my burrow, so close. Hard right and I climb again, glance at the watch, yeah baby (gonna pay for this tonight)its on.. back out into the wind and out into the open as I start the final 300m leading back to the burrow... I can hear the crowd , the sound system, the cheering, the chanting. "wombat...Wombat...Wombat" go baby go...

Through the line between the burrow's letter box and the road marker. yes PB, world record for the course 20m 12 sec (3miles)..The wombat prances, he dances and he pumps his little fists.. (Man you are gonna pay for that tonight)..Just for the record Haile was second over the line , DeCastella third and Carter came in 4th... Gotta love it when your in the zone...remember to have fun

Barrel on Wombats...

No comments:

Post a Comment