About Me

My photo
The older I get the better I was... but after many years of idle burrowing the candle of desire is still burning and I have come to realise that running is as much a part of me as my heart and lungs... In Christmas 2008 I was 82kg and was not running a step..This is my journey , the journey of the wombat...Dogged...determined...persistent...and maybe a little grumpy.. but like the wombat my journey is territorial, its about running and I am going to work to protect it...Come along for the ride and see if I can become the wombat warrior. 2009 was a mixed bag for the wombat's journey.A top ten placing in both the Bridges and the City Surf brought a small sense of achievement but also a degree of frustration.... I think I can do better and better I will in 2010. A better run in the Busso Half iron man in support of TV in his swim and bike ride and that was about the extent of my racing. Lets see what happens in 2010 as "My journey Continues". Now in 2011 the wombat will continue his journey, but not alone the wombat has a youngling who knows how to dig. 2015 and its a new beginning , time goes on and the journey to the 2016 World Masters is under way.

Sunday, May 3, 2009

The Wombat Achieved the goal...1hr 20m 18sec

The goal was set prior to my health scare but a wombat is reluctant to back away and once the vet (GP) gave the all clear the feet hit the ground, albeit it gently and tentatively...

My mileage was considerably down in the days leading up to the event however I was covering 3 miles well enough to think that the additional 9 miles would only add a degree of discomfort to my legs rather than any other real problems... The bags were packed and the drive to Busselton began. (For my International followers this is the Southern region of WA and if you ever travel to the state strongly encourage you to explore all that the South has to offer.)

Traffic was a nightmare and I made a mental note to investigate having a small missile launcher attached to the front of my car to blow up those drivers who drive at 90 in a 110 zone then accelerate to 120 in the dual overtake lane so that you need to be doing 14o to get past them. If you can't get past them in the short time that the dual lane operates then you get stuck behind them and they slow to 90 again..... Such a relaxing drive..

Had a dinner of champions at the Placid Ark Road house, Steak burger , Chico roll and a coke...
Through Bunbury and into Busso to catch up with Carter and his mum. Not happy to discover that CALM has completed a controlled burn and smoke has engulfed the town...A quick suck on the puffer. (mental note , don't panic) Pre-race meal of Ham and pineapple pizza then drove out to Dunsborough where I was to stay with Carter's family. Way to go Mrs C , beat sleeping in the back of the car and I could make a coffee in the morning...

Race day arrived and the wombat was restless.. Would I make it? Would I break down? would my breathing play up? Could the Docker's win? So many questions to consider over my morning coffee...

Drove with Carter back to Busso and watched the swimmers come in... Waited for Trevor to finish his swim. He had phoned to tell me he had placed the race number and bag next to the medical tent. I soon discovered that someone had moved it... So much for that plan. Cruised around and organised new number and wrist tag for myself...

Now the waiting game, Trev was 38 minutes in the water and was expecting a 3 hour bike ride so there was no reason to rush my prep.. I decided not to warm up due to my daily runs being only 3 miles . It would mean that not only was I running 9 miles further than I had previously covered in the last 18 days by warming up this would add more mileage to the day and I needed every bit of energy that I had to get through the run. No warm up I would do that on the first lap and ease into the run over the course.. Drank a bottle of Gatorade then lined up for the toilets (too much fluid)...

Walked around the run /bike transition, the sun was up and so too was the temperature, wombats don't like the sun.... Trev came in 3hr 3m for the ride , almost spot on his prediction... Now it was my turn..My goal was to better the 1hr 27 minutes I took last year...

Out the shoot and the nerves were gone, found a rhythm and settled in, waited for breathing issues ....nothing happened, good that side of me should be OK... moving past the field easily, bearing in mind that most of them had already swum and ridden so make a mental note not to tease anyone because they are a lot more tired than you wombat......

Moving well and catching Colin who went out 5 minutes ahead of me... also, mental note keep and eye out for Greg and Jo , mind you Greg would be on his second lap by the time I catch him and Jo will be tough she left well ahead.) There's Colin.... annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd gotcha Colin, quick yarn, some verbal jousting and back to it.

Feels like I could be moving to fast , should know by the time I hit the mat...24m28s first 7km, (3m29s/km) shit too fast.. back off a touch...no bugger it just keep with the pace that you lock into.. Grab some water, damn more up my nose than in my mouth. (mental note, fold cup over next time to limit the pour area. funny used to just do that without thinking.) Heading back down to the far end of the course. past Kathy taking photos (mental note, wonder how long she will sit there for?)
Shit should not have looked up the breakwater does not seem to be getting any closer....bugga.. don't look up.. yeah and don't think of a red elephant.. good one plonka.. Ok back into steady state running...Quick body scan , feeling good, legs (check) arms (check) Quads (ouch) hang in their guys.. hey there is Greg, bugga he is on his last lap, try to catch him anyway, gotcha Greg quick banter then move on...

back up towards the jetty, man this is so tedious up, back up back,, pass a triathlete who looks to be in trouble , poor bastard that is doing it tough " hang in their champ no far"

OK across the mat again, 28m 55s, (4.07/km) shit too slow don't settle into a rut... lift, lift... Look good for the crowd, low five to the little dude with the hat... and back out to the other end again.. you can go under 1h27m... man is this stretch taking long, don't look up...ahhhhh you looked up..
Quads getting heavy, lift again..beauty back to it. Hey there is Jo, keep working and you can get her.

Past Elvis, round the turn and go go go... closing on Jo, keep chasing annnnd gotcha...Jo is stoked well on her way to a PB and less than 2km to go... Move past her and onto the finish. Quads are screaming and basically feeling rooted... maybe not as rooted as he looks but tired just the same.. past Trev down the chute and yes goal achieved 1hr 20 minutes 18 seconds ..(last 7 km in 26m35s 3.47/km) into the queue for food and a hat....

Very pleased with myself , quads are damn sore but calves are brilliant and my breathing caused me no grief..
Next challenge drive home without my legs cramping ... now where is that missile launcher?

Well done to all those who competed on the day some of you really showed the wombat within yourselves and lived to tel the tale.

Barrel on Wombats...

1 comment:

  1. Excellent job, well done. Glad you didn't have any Malboro moments!

    ReplyDelete