About Me

My photo
The older I get the better I was... but after many years of idle burrowing the candle of desire is still burning and I have come to realise that running is as much a part of me as my heart and lungs... In Christmas 2008 I was 82kg and was not running a step..This is my journey , the journey of the wombat...Dogged...determined...persistent...and maybe a little grumpy.. but like the wombat my journey is territorial, its about running and I am going to work to protect it...Come along for the ride and see if I can become the wombat warrior. 2009 was a mixed bag for the wombat's journey.A top ten placing in both the Bridges and the City Surf brought a small sense of achievement but also a degree of frustration.... I think I can do better and better I will in 2010. A better run in the Busso Half iron man in support of TV in his swim and bike ride and that was about the extent of my racing. Lets see what happens in 2010 as "My journey Continues". Now in 2011 the wombat will continue his journey, but not alone the wombat has a youngling who knows how to dig. 2015 and its a new beginning , time goes on and the journey to the 2016 World Masters is under way.

Monday, April 6, 2009

Wombats got the blues....Monday run

For me this was always one of the toughest couple of weeks....The weeks after I had achieved my goal or after my target race.. I always found it a little tough to make the mind shift from what I'd just done and move onto my next plan..My coach always sat down with me and we went through and planned what we were doing and where we hoped to go. During this process I established both long and short term goals..However I never found the jump to the next goal easy and was always keen to have a sustained celebration... I guess at the end of the day if it was easy everyone would do it.

For me it meant not going off the rails. In my case as a younger athlete that meant not partying hard, staying out late or hitting the drink. It also meant not going stupid with eating anything that was not secured in a safe .(love my food) . As I get older this is still not easy...
Sunday was my target race and Sunday afternoon I had several beers and binged on chocolate (I am soooooooo weak its pathetic) Tonight I found that the last thing I actually wanted to do was train but once again the bloody mind games start... It helped that I was meeting people because it meant I have made a commitment to them so I have to be somewhere at a certain time, it did not help that my right achilles is quite sore/stiff and I had to nurse it while running..

I did pull the pin on doing the session but I got to the meeting place earlier and ran alps of the lakes (5 miles for the day)... This already puts me ahead of last year because I did not run the day after the Bridges in 2008 due to the calf strain / cramp...

Still tonight I sat down with a piece of cheese the size of a car battery and munched away while having a Milo, yeah i know not a great combination but I do so love cheese).

So where to now for the wombat warrior???? Well I have made a commitment to a friend for Busso and so will be running the running leg of the event while he churns through the water and spins through the bike...that gives me the rest of April to build up again and get some considerable strength to enable me to feel confident over the distance.. My Goal for this one, apart from finishing...... beat the 1hr 27 minutes that it took me last time...

I guess I will see you all out there soon.I guess too that it might be time to shed a tear again and ring the 'Doig Myster' .. bugga I'm already sweating thinking about it.

Barrel on wombats.....

1 comment:

  1. thats the thing...on to the next goal, keep the momentum going...can relate re the emotional rollercoaster after a target race is done, and the mental battle to get back in the saddle again...also the seefood and eat it diet...

    ReplyDelete