About Me

My photo
The older I get the better I was... but after many years of idle burrowing the candle of desire is still burning and I have come to realise that running is as much a part of me as my heart and lungs... In Christmas 2008 I was 82kg and was not running a step..This is my journey , the journey of the wombat...Dogged...determined...persistent...and maybe a little grumpy.. but like the wombat my journey is territorial, its about running and I am going to work to protect it...Come along for the ride and see if I can become the wombat warrior. 2009 was a mixed bag for the wombat's journey.A top ten placing in both the Bridges and the City Surf brought a small sense of achievement but also a degree of frustration.... I think I can do better and better I will in 2010. A better run in the Busso Half iron man in support of TV in his swim and bike ride and that was about the extent of my racing. Lets see what happens in 2010 as "My journey Continues". Now in 2011 the wombat will continue his journey, but not alone the wombat has a youngling who knows how to dig. 2015 and its a new beginning , time goes on and the journey to the 2016 World Masters is under way.

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

A Followers Feedback......and he was one TSOB.

It is great to read the comments from followers of the "Wombat Warrior" From time to time I read one that reminds me of Christmas past and today I did just that. I have placed it on this post for all to read however before I do that I should say that the comment came from a runner who I always thought of as tough as nails, when you raced him you were in for a fight....He himself has faced the struggles of coming back from injury and a period of lay off but each time he has given 110%. He was from the era of Jim Langford, John Hambleton, Graham Clews, Ivan Shatford, Clive Hicks and Martin Asmussen to name but a few of the tough bastard brigade... When this crew raced it was blood sweat and tears, it was on for young and old and as a junior they were my inspiration to achieve better results by being able to race them..... I had the pleasure of running often on a Wednesday night with some of this crew, along with Alan Thurlow, for a tempo run and the pace towards the end of the night, as we headed back up ANZAC Bluff to the top car park at Kings Park, was gut wrenching. These guys always made it look easy........SHOW US YOUR WOMBAT


He writes below:

"Wombat The trials of an aging running can be far more arduous than that of the young elite athlete. The hopes an aspirations for future glory can be one hell of a motivator. While the trials and tribulations of a body that just doesn't respond as well as it once did, or a body that has had injuries and problems over many years that are now restrictive, creates a completely different mind set!BUT as long as WE know where we are at and where we want to go there is no reason why we can't be just as focussed and committed to improvement!! The wombat is and has always been one tough little bugger and the latest obstacles won't slow him down for long. The wombat is a champion. This old 'almost was' is still motivated and on his 54th come back after injury. To be or not to be a runner? The answer is simple- To be!"


Thanks for the feed back and input followers be you anonymous or identified...Remember each of us has the wombat inside of us it just needs the right circumstances for it to shine in all its glory...


Barrel on wombats...

1 comment: