About Me

My photo
The older I get the better I was... but after many years of idle burrowing the candle of desire is still burning and I have come to realise that running is as much a part of me as my heart and lungs... In Christmas 2008 I was 82kg and was not running a step..This is my journey , the journey of the wombat...Dogged...determined...persistent...and maybe a little grumpy.. but like the wombat my journey is territorial, its about running and I am going to work to protect it...Come along for the ride and see if I can become the wombat warrior. 2009 was a mixed bag for the wombat's journey.A top ten placing in both the Bridges and the City Surf brought a small sense of achievement but also a degree of frustration.... I think I can do better and better I will in 2010. A better run in the Busso Half iron man in support of TV in his swim and bike ride and that was about the extent of my racing. Lets see what happens in 2010 as "My journey Continues". Now in 2011 the wombat will continue his journey, but not alone the wombat has a youngling who knows how to dig. 2015 and its a new beginning , time goes on and the journey to the 2016 World Masters is under way.

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The Wombat's Down South...


From North to South... Just spent two days down south at Logue Brook Dam. This is located roughly 2 hrs drive out from Perth along the South West High Way. The turn off coming 19km after driving past the lake Navarino turn off in Waroona.

Took the boat with us so the little wombats and Mrs Wombat could enjoy the water while the wombat himself was out hitting the trails...

Once again it got pretty warm down there but no where near what I experienced in Green Head. The running was magic early in the morning and once I was out the back of the dam the wind was hindered by the tall timber that grows out the back. Amazingly still some water out back. Just enjoyed running long to build up base and strength so that I can hopefully tackle and put together some harder sessions commencing March. Mind you having said that if I am feeling good I have been winding them up to come home. Not to the point where I can comfortably sit on a 3m15s km pace but happy to cruise at the 3.40s and 50s that come my way at the moment.

Despite wearing the Garmin, which had a little trouble in the bush at times in picking up a signal, I am working off a 7 minute mile average in my head and this is still proving to be accurate even now. There were times when I could comfortably sit on a 4m20s mile pace for ages (would love to revisit that fitness again) however at the present I am enjoying the feeling of moving along. Found the hills (small climbs) a little troublesome in maintaining the steady pace but I know that this will come back over time...

Knowing that base and distance are the elements to building a solid structure on I am happy just to wait and be patient , something the young athletes sometimes lack. (if you build it , it will come) ..

Two days and 6 runs all spaced out enough to allow sufficient recovery and all at a pace that is allowing this old wombats body deal and cope with it....

I hope others are enjoying the building up over these months so that when the racing seasons really hits for the states and GP they can fly. As for me I am waiting for the winter when it gets cooler and I don't have to run in the dark to get some respite from the heat. Mind you I can't complain as the crew in Queensland are doing it bloody tough. You just have to love the inbuilt Wombat that Aussi's tend to have hidden and which only really shows itself when the chips are down.. Hang in there Queensland the country is behind you....

Keep getting out there crew and build on you fitness and work towards your goals. If you thinking of running a marathon in Perth this year I would be starting the base work now to enable you to put in the a really well planned and staged build up.....

Barrel on Wombats...




No comments:

Post a Comment