About Me

My photo
The older I get the better I was... but after many years of idle burrowing the candle of desire is still burning and I have come to realise that running is as much a part of me as my heart and lungs... In Christmas 2008 I was 82kg and was not running a step..This is my journey , the journey of the wombat...Dogged...determined...persistent...and maybe a little grumpy.. but like the wombat my journey is territorial, its about running and I am going to work to protect it...Come along for the ride and see if I can become the wombat warrior. 2009 was a mixed bag for the wombat's journey.A top ten placing in both the Bridges and the City Surf brought a small sense of achievement but also a degree of frustration.... I think I can do better and better I will in 2010. A better run in the Busso Half iron man in support of TV in his swim and bike ride and that was about the extent of my racing. Lets see what happens in 2010 as "My journey Continues". Now in 2011 the wombat will continue his journey, but not alone the wombat has a youngling who knows how to dig. 2015 and its a new beginning , time goes on and the journey to the 2016 World Masters is under way.

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Green Head...Bloody Hot

Family time sometimes means you run in tough surroundings.. 2 days at Green Head, a small coastal community approximately 300km north of Perth, meant running in 42 and 43 degree heat. Interestingly 12 years ago I would have covered many more miles in the same surroundings had I had to go there. Mind you my young wombats would not have been on the scene and I would not have been there anyway. In fact I more than likely would have been in Falls Creek with the rest of the running fraternity. (Usually stayed until late February)

Very barren terrain on the road's edge, gravel tracks and grey hot sand. Still I managed to get the runs done and not melt. Got some swimming in too. Not quite the Falls Creek altitude running but heat training is supposed to bring similar gains. (if you don't burst into flames in the process. ) Checked the Garmin at one stage and I think it said " You're a bloody idiot, it's too hot to be running you may die" I will check that once I get around to down loading the data. I have already written the mileage and times in my diary but I may as well get digital too.

The old ASICS Kayano's need an upgrade too. Fortunately I have kept some old habits from my more glorified running days (well glorified in my head) and always have 2 pairs on the go.

I am actually looking forward to getting into the full swing of the training regime again after a small break (smaller than 6 years anyway). The trusty old wombat who set it a few years ago knows a fair bit about running and let me tell you the program works... Why do we push ourselves.... because we can I guess..

Anyway back in Perth now and happy to be in familiar surroundings... back into the bushland of jacoby park , may even venture to the river and head along the flat lands...

until soon

Barrel on wombats...

1 comment:

  1. "but heat training is supposed to bring similar gains. (if you don't burst into flames in the process. ) Checked the Garmin at one stage and I think it said " You're a bloody idiot, it's too hot to be running you may die" ."...legendary quotes there... *ROFL* :-); hahahaha. :-)

    ReplyDelete