About Me

My photo
The older I get the better I was... but after many years of idle burrowing the candle of desire is still burning and I have come to realise that running is as much a part of me as my heart and lungs... In Christmas 2008 I was 82kg and was not running a step..This is my journey , the journey of the wombat...Dogged...determined...persistent...and maybe a little grumpy.. but like the wombat my journey is territorial, its about running and I am going to work to protect it...Come along for the ride and see if I can become the wombat warrior. 2009 was a mixed bag for the wombat's journey.A top ten placing in both the Bridges and the City Surf brought a small sense of achievement but also a degree of frustration.... I think I can do better and better I will in 2010. A better run in the Busso Half iron man in support of TV in his swim and bike ride and that was about the extent of my racing. Lets see what happens in 2010 as "My journey Continues". Now in 2011 the wombat will continue his journey, but not alone the wombat has a youngling who knows how to dig. 2015 and its a new beginning , time goes on and the journey to the 2016 World Masters is under way.

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Become a wombat warrior...set your target....Go for it


The hardest thing to do is step out the door. Most of us, even the wombat himself, have a million and one excuses for not stepping out the door. Take last night for example. I had left my run very late and Mrs Wombat had asked me if I was eating with everyone else or running first. The is basically code for get your wombat arse up here and have dinner with the family. I now have an excuse for not getting out the door as I have just eaten. A part of my brain (the lazy arsed section) argued that we could run longer tomorrow. The other part of my brain ( the masochistic section) shouted get off your lazy arse and get out the door and run with a stitch if that's what it takes. So I went out the door, in the dark and ran. ( No stitch)
If you live in Perth now is the time to target a marathon and set the wheels in motion in terms of preparing yourself for the onslaught of the distance. For the metro area there are two choices.The Perth marathon on the 19th June or the City to Surf marathon on the last weekend of August. There is also an overseas marathon on Rottnest Island on October 23rd and an early marathon in Bunbury on the 22nd May.
In the case of Bunbury a runner would have a Little less that 20 weeks of prep. This is doable but maybe a little bit rushed for someone with no base. For a runner who is already fit then it would only be a matter of building up. Perth in June is ideal as it allows you to build a really good base of distance and tempo over the next few months and then heading into winter you can start to add the more demanding sessions (if you were really after a time). It also means that for you Sunday long runs you are doing the bigger distances in the cooler months. The same situation presents itself for the City to Surf and Rottnest marathons. All of these allow a very controlled and steady build up. For my way of thinking they also allow a little more time to recovery during the training phase if you have any interruptions such as sickness or even injury (should this occur).
The other bonus of the later marathons is that there are plenty of other fun runs around Perth that allow you to enjoy the social element of racing and training and this is all part of the fun. Mind you I am a solitary wombat and enjoy training solo however I really love the comradery that the running fraternity brings with it. Remember running is a solo endeavour when it comes to achieving your goals....
It does not matter if you have not run for a while or never run ... Remember " Every journey begins with a single step" so pick a race(Perth half) or set a goal (get fit, lose some weight) and start your journey.
Start by walking a mile (1609m) then walk jog a mile then jog a whole mile. Next use the same process to cover 2 miles (3.2km) and so on. In four weeks time you will be covering 5km (3miles ) without even thinking about it.
Come on be a wombat warrior and dig deep , go for it, set a personal goal and achieve it.
Barrel on wombats....

1 comment:

  1. I saw a wombat warrior some day ago.I traveled like it.It's goal was a hole to go for it.

    ReplyDelete