About Me

My photo
The older I get the better I was... but after many years of idle burrowing the candle of desire is still burning and I have come to realise that running is as much a part of me as my heart and lungs... In Christmas 2008 I was 82kg and was not running a step..This is my journey , the journey of the wombat...Dogged...determined...persistent...and maybe a little grumpy.. but like the wombat my journey is territorial, its about running and I am going to work to protect it...Come along for the ride and see if I can become the wombat warrior. 2009 was a mixed bag for the wombat's journey.A top ten placing in both the Bridges and the City Surf brought a small sense of achievement but also a degree of frustration.... I think I can do better and better I will in 2010. A better run in the Busso Half iron man in support of TV in his swim and bike ride and that was about the extent of my racing. Lets see what happens in 2010 as "My journey Continues". Now in 2011 the wombat will continue his journey, but not alone the wombat has a youngling who knows how to dig. 2015 and its a new beginning , time goes on and the journey to the 2016 World Masters is under way.

Friday, January 21, 2011

Wombat Flashback...1987 A 21 year old wombat... 23 years ago.

July 19th Sunday... At 21 years of age I had entered the realm of senior competition. This day was the national 15km Road titles and they were being contested in Hobart.

My diary reads. Goals for the week: I would love to have a solid run in Sunday's national 15km road Race.

Sunday 19th: Breakfast 4 pieces of toast and jam. 1 cup of coffee and no sugar. A little bit windy and rather cold 4-5degrees Celsius.
Easy warm up 1 mile and some light stretching. Went out at a good solid pace and worked with a pack of three until 6km (5km 14.48) At 8km I was left to run alone and well back from Camp, Mona, Morley and Carroll. Held 5th place until final 200m. Ran a solid 10k-13km (10km 30m38s) Came in 6th 45m56sec Easy cool down 12 mile day

The race sheet has
1st S.Moneghetti 44m11s
2nd Brad Camp 45m06s
3rd Quinten Morley 45m18s
4th Pat Carroll 45m23s
5th Sean Quilty 45m53s
6th wombat Warrior 45m56s

Other WA athletes in the race. Greg Webster 20th 47m50s, Mark Altus 33rd 49m34s, John Hambleton 35th 49m44s, Simon Elliot 37th 50m17s, Jon Kappler 43rd 51m29s. WA finished 4th in the teams.

The week of August 23rd - 29th was an interesting one: My goal for the week reads. Continue and finish off a solid training period since the national road titles. I am aiming to run an aggressive and fast race at the national cross country titles on the 29th.
My diary has me run 61 miles for the week.

Saturday 29th reads: Lazed around the room until 12.45pm. Easy warm up no more than 1 mile, some run throughs and stretching. Went out hard and setttled donw to a good pace. Ran strongly but lost a little ground goign downhill. Came in 7th, 6th Aussi for the 12km. Won a sprint home against Quinten Morley. This was good he beat me in Tassi. Time 12km XC 36m52s Bundoora Course. Easy Cool down a little tired.
An excellent race at the nationals. A little more work and I can get there. I must learn to relax on the down hills. A pleasing way to end the XC season.

Slept on the plane coming home but had a restless nights sleep

Sunday 30th Reads: Tough nights sleep coming off the plane from Victoria, Woke 7am Perth City to Surf. Easy warm up and feeling a bit flat. Stretched . Took off aggressively and attacked the hills. Broke away with Mike Bonner very early. Could not shake Mike until the 11km mark. I ran up the hills hard and Mike pushed coming downhill. Came home in a new City to Surf record 35minutes 54 seconds. Broke old record by 1 minute. Legs heavy over last 2km.

Flew to Kalgoorlie for the Golden mile on the 2nd September.
Diary 2nd September reads: Easy warm up 1 mile, Ran very hard from the gun and lead the field after 200m. The miles rises 22m over the course of the distance. A solid 4m20sec 7 seconds clear of 2nd. Course record held by Gerard Ryan 4m13seconds. Calves tight. Flew home that afternoon.

Longest run for the week 8 miles Weekly mileage 39 miles.

Week's summary reads: An excellent week of racing. Nationals, City to Surf and the Kalgoorlie mile. Time to get back to just running for a little while.

" Running is a stress. When it's applied in small doses, the body reacts by strengthening its defences against this and other stresses. Runners require specific and regular stresses in order to adapt and improve."

Barrel on wombats...

2 comments:

  1. Very interesting. So you were right up there with famous names like Mona, Camp, Carroll, Quilty etc. Simon E. is still getting out there and is on my strands.com friends list. remember his name and also Mark Altus from the 80's/early 90's. I started senior competition in 1989/1990 as a 16/17 year old, although only at state level in 20km walk/30km walk etc...Although did my first u/16 nationals in 1989. see http://trailblazer777.net/travelbris1.html

    City to surf record in the 35min zone is an awesome time! Mileage amounts of 40-60miles is interesting... so thats about 64-96km for the week....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boydy - what I remember of that race was that it was freakin' cold with a brisk wind...and that we ran over a famous old bridge. I think it was 2 degrees + wind chill!

    My diary entry would have said something like 'planned to run 2 minutes quicker'! But I was pretty chuffed to be wearing a seniors singlet as a junior!

    ReplyDelete