About Me

My photo
The older I get the better I was... but after many years of idle burrowing the candle of desire is still burning and I have come to realise that running is as much a part of me as my heart and lungs... In Christmas 2008 I was 82kg and was not running a step..This is my journey , the journey of the wombat...Dogged...determined...persistent...and maybe a little grumpy.. but like the wombat my journey is territorial, its about running and I am going to work to protect it...Come along for the ride and see if I can become the wombat warrior. 2009 was a mixed bag for the wombat's journey.A top ten placing in both the Bridges and the City Surf brought a small sense of achievement but also a degree of frustration.... I think I can do better and better I will in 2010. A better run in the Busso Half iron man in support of TV in his swim and bike ride and that was about the extent of my racing. Lets see what happens in 2010 as "My journey Continues". Now in 2011 the wombat will continue his journey, but not alone the wombat has a youngling who knows how to dig. 2015 and its a new beginning , time goes on and the journey to the 2016 World Masters is under way.

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Okay so we build the engine now what...


Mona had a bloody great engine, something that both he and his coach Chris Wardlaw continued to build on every year. How? Day in day out he ran, Falls Creek every year for a top up and some solitude in the mountains.


You can do the same..... The tempo run is one element and the wombat believes that the long run is another element. The long run builds the strength in the legs to stay upright for a long time... Mona was big on it, his coach was big on it, Deek was big on it. Lance Armstrong did big mileage rides why? because it builds physical and more importantly mental strength. Its how you keep building the engine.

I remember when I was a young furry wombat and Deek came to Perth to have a crack at the world 25km record around the course at WAIT. Myself, OTFBD and Jussi Vaalsta all followed him on bikes, he was flying and he was doing it by himself. He missed the record by 15.5 seconds running 1hr 14min 13.3 seconds missing the record by a mere 15.5 seconds after being hassled by a dog and running into the back of a car when it passed then stopped in front of him. After the event Clayton Clews introduced me to him. He spoke with me for a while and at one point I asked about all the things he did. one of his responses was " You don't get better at running by going bowling" When I asked my dad what he meant dad explained that he was saying if you want to get better at running you run.


That's how you build your engine, you run. You build a base by running. As you get stronger you run faster for longer at training. This is often easier said than done because it is a fine line between running fast and running too fast. Only you can judge that point of fast and too fast.

One way to do that is consider how you pull up the next day. If you are smashed then it was too fast. If your all good then you are on track.

With the long runs in pace and the tempo runs in pace the next thing is to run every day if you can... Small runs at first then slightly longer. For a runner with a solid base (1 year behind them) they can add some multiple elements at the same time. They may increase their daily average as well as add some fartlek.

Again a word of caution "Don't be impatient" Get the mileage steady and hold it. Add another element , say a fartlek session and hold this for a couple of weeks. If all is smooth sailing increase the length or style of the fartlek. over time you can add another element. Over time you will get to the stage where you have such a base that you can remove and replace the different aspects of a distance program without fear of injury. (Having said that you can go from months of road and trail running then switch to track suddenly and throw in a track session in spikes. I get my guys to initially do a couple of session in their flats then switch over.)



Good luck wombats keep building that engine... While it may not make you a Lance Armstrong , a Mona , Deek , Paula Radcliffe, Geta Waitz, Bikila or a Haile G/Selassie. It will enable you to reach new limits with your running... patience and building blocks that what its all about.



Barrel on Wombats...

No comments:

Post a Comment