About Me

My photo
The older I get the better I was... but after many years of idle burrowing the candle of desire is still burning and I have come to realise that running is as much a part of me as my heart and lungs... In Christmas 2008 I was 82kg and was not running a step..This is my journey , the journey of the wombat...Dogged...determined...persistent...and maybe a little grumpy.. but like the wombat my journey is territorial, its about running and I am going to work to protect it...Come along for the ride and see if I can become the wombat warrior. 2009 was a mixed bag for the wombat's journey.A top ten placing in both the Bridges and the City Surf brought a small sense of achievement but also a degree of frustration.... I think I can do better and better I will in 2010. A better run in the Busso Half iron man in support of TV in his swim and bike ride and that was about the extent of my racing. Lets see what happens in 2010 as "My journey Continues". Now in 2011 the wombat will continue his journey, but not alone the wombat has a youngling who knows how to dig. 2015 and its a new beginning , time goes on and the journey to the 2016 World Masters is under way.

Saturday, May 23, 2009

Peaks and troughs...

Sometimes I even annoy myself with the small ways in which I manage to avoid doing something mildly unpleasant...


Got home Thursday night after a smashing session (see previous rant) to find that the power was still out, this had been down since 11am, so showering was a very cold bucket over the head. (You see up here where the wombat lives we have tanks to store the rain water and without power we wombats can't get it out because the pumps don't work)....anyway the rain continued most of the night and Friday morning my alarm went off (I use the mobile phone for this) at 5.30am.. it is pouring down and guess what?...still no power.. OK old wombat I ain't gonna run this morning because I wont be able to shower before work and I don't wan to come in from the run freezing cold then not be able to warm up prior to going down the hill.... OK we will run after work and increase the distance a little....


So I go to work looking like a scruff...

Come home Friday afternoon and Mrs Wombat calls to say bring home pizza the power is still out and the family is at the neighbours because they have organised a generator and so are able to run a few lights and more importantly Mrs Wombat and the younglings can shower..shit..shit..shit... OK hold off on the run until after the pizza. This means running with a stitch... that's cool I can deal with that..


Dinner and a chat at the neighbours , still no power, we drive around the block to home put the young ones to bed and I suit up for a run... I step out the door and the heavens open up...bugga... OK token gesture and around the block we go.....


Dry off and into bed cold...

Woke this morning and yes you guessed it, still no power. Not bad for a so called developed country.. I know what you are saying, my choice I live in the hills...Maybe you wont be smiling if the sea levels rise in which case I will have coastal views... pack the car with all the equipment and head off to the local oval to set up for the Auskick program that I run at 9am.. oval under water..OK its 7.45am make a decision time do I start ringing parents and call it off of run with it...n on news, another cold front with showers allegedly coming through... start making calls to give parents the heads up...Sorry guys Auskick cancelled for today try again next weekend. happy to play in the rain but the oval is soaked and possibly another front coming up the hill...


Drive home and the sun comes out and it does not rain again until my evening run... Bugga , live with a shitty decision. Still it could have gone the other way .. comes with the turf.


Power came back on 11am .. ran for 3 miles and enjoyed the wind and the drizzle and the constant mind chatter of "GO Home, Turn around its cold"....


Looking forward to tomorrow and the start of a new week...Just over a month to get into gear for the half ... go baby go..


Barrel on Wombats....

No comments:

Post a Comment