About Me

My photo
The older I get the better I was... but after many years of idle burrowing the candle of desire is still burning and I have come to realise that running is as much a part of me as my heart and lungs... In Christmas 2008 I was 82kg and was not running a step..This is my journey , the journey of the wombat...Dogged...determined...persistent...and maybe a little grumpy.. but like the wombat my journey is territorial, its about running and I am going to work to protect it...Come along for the ride and see if I can become the wombat warrior. 2009 was a mixed bag for the wombat's journey.A top ten placing in both the Bridges and the City Surf brought a small sense of achievement but also a degree of frustration.... I think I can do better and better I will in 2010. A better run in the Busso Half iron man in support of TV in his swim and bike ride and that was about the extent of my racing. Lets see what happens in 2010 as "My journey Continues". Now in 2011 the wombat will continue his journey, but not alone the wombat has a youngling who knows how to dig. 2015 and its a new beginning , time goes on and the journey to the 2016 World Masters is under way.

Monday, August 5, 2013

GGS Govo Long Tempo

Today was brutal, thankfully it was only 8km of brutality. For as long as I've been running them,  the tempo run has always involved going out easy , getting comfortable , then winding up to a pace that is on the edge of uncomfortable. For me this was the most enjoyable type of running. I remember some really memorable tempo runs with Hambo, Sully, Delb's, Bonner, Shatty, Hawksey and Thurls that started up behind Fraser's Restaurant, looped Kings Park and then wound around the river before climbing up ANZAC Bluff. By the time we hit the Causeway and were heading towards Barrack Street the pace was usually bordering suicidal however, we always managed to drag ourselves, testicles and all, up the final climb to Anzac Bluff , often dry reaching only to return the following week and do it again.

This afternoon there was none of that former glory, tonight I did a reverse tempo. I set out at a very comfortable pace, 4.30ks, with a few of the Guildford boys, only to be left in their wake 4 minutes into the run. The bit that was annoying was that as the run progressed I got slower. By 5km I was hovering at 5 minute kms and this was maintained until 7km before a slight improvement and drop to 4.50kms. The finish was up a small incline, this of course paled into insignificance against ANZAC Bluff, but none the less it felt like hitting a wall, the only similarity to years gone by is that I'll be back there again next week, as for my testicles well I think there are still at the base of the small climb.

Barrel on wombats...

No comments:

Post a Comment