About Me

My photo
The older I get the better I was... but after many years of idle burrowing the candle of desire is still burning and I have come to realise that running is as much a part of me as my heart and lungs... In Christmas 2008 I was 82kg and was not running a step..This is my journey , the journey of the wombat...Dogged...determined...persistent...and maybe a little grumpy.. but like the wombat my journey is territorial, its about running and I am going to work to protect it...Come along for the ride and see if I can become the wombat warrior. 2009 was a mixed bag for the wombat's journey.A top ten placing in both the Bridges and the City Surf brought a small sense of achievement but also a degree of frustration.... I think I can do better and better I will in 2010. A better run in the Busso Half iron man in support of TV in his swim and bike ride and that was about the extent of my racing. Lets see what happens in 2010 as "My journey Continues". Now in 2011 the wombat will continue his journey, but not alone the wombat has a youngling who knows how to dig. 2015 and its a new beginning , time goes on and the journey to the 2016 World Masters is under way.

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

A week and a bit to go...

The following is an article that I wrote for the Sunday Times last weekend in relation to next week's Perth City to Surf.

You can feel it, your nerves have started and that sense of anticipation becomes almost all consuming as your final week of training, leading up to the start of Perth’s biggest participation 12km  event begins. Regardless of ability level, from social runner to elite, there are some basics that never change and are relevant to everyone during this lead-up. During talks, one of which I did tonight at the Running Centre in West Perth, I often say to the running audience there is very little that you can do to get any fitter during this week but there is a lot you can do that will sabotage your race preparations. 

This is not the week to start cramming, it’s not an exam, an extra few kilometres now will not help you drop a few more seconds. This is the week where you essentially go through the motions and enjoy the fact that you are reducing your mileage and allowing your body to recharge and regenerate for its assault on the course. For the social runner, most of you will have your last hit out on Wednesday when you may include a short sharp tempo session to shake out the cob webs. The elite will more likely carry this session through to Thursday. Friday and Saturday are the roll along runs where you go through the motions just to help you sleep and not drive your partner up the wall with your new found energy. Remember, at this point more is not better.


Try and get good sleep and rest a few days out, as the night before tends to be restless for most people as their excitement levels rise. Have your racing gear prepared the night before so the morning is not a mad rush. The race is not the time to be trying new running gear; this is the time for the old trusty’s. Finally your night before meal , like your racing gear, is not a time to experiment with food, eat what you know sits well. For me it was ham and pineapple pizza, garlic bread and a coke. Finally remember its 12km not 1km so ease into your running rhythm. 

No comments:

Post a Comment