About Me

My photo
The older I get the better I was... but after many years of idle burrowing the candle of desire is still burning and I have come to realise that running is as much a part of me as my heart and lungs... In Christmas 2008 I was 82kg and was not running a step..This is my journey , the journey of the wombat...Dogged...determined...persistent...and maybe a little grumpy.. but like the wombat my journey is territorial, its about running and I am going to work to protect it...Come along for the ride and see if I can become the wombat warrior. 2009 was a mixed bag for the wombat's journey.A top ten placing in both the Bridges and the City Surf brought a small sense of achievement but also a degree of frustration.... I think I can do better and better I will in 2010. A better run in the Busso Half iron man in support of TV in his swim and bike ride and that was about the extent of my racing. Lets see what happens in 2010 as "My journey Continues". Now in 2011 the wombat will continue his journey, but not alone the wombat has a youngling who knows how to dig. 2015 and its a new beginning , time goes on and the journey to the 2016 World Masters is under way.

Friday, March 5, 2010

Tiger on the trail.....

Last night was a top session. Ran out along the pipeline loop kicking off from Victor road. The goal for the night, as it always is during this run , was to get home faster than I went out.

Of course racing Tegat, Coe, Birmingham and Mottram it was always going to be a solid run. Got out to the bottom of the hill in 11 minutes which is pretty standard. From here on I establish a good pace that is comfortable and just hold it . Through a process of natural progression I usually get quicker anyway.

A short time later as I put my foot (left) down onto the trail I noticed something different about the grass. For one thing it moved and for another it looked pretty much like a bloody tiger snake... It was one of those times where you see it and by the time you realise what it is that you are looking at you are to far committed to alter anything.

As my foot came down next to its head the bloody thing coiled back, at which point I thought, that's it I'm fucked, Fortunately it did not strike. I then covered the next 100m in a time that would have left Bolt covered in dust.... In all my time out on these trails I have seen maybe three or four snakes and this was the first tiger I have seen on the trails... I guess that's what happens in dry summer.... Next time I will bring a change of underwear..

Anyway I did settle my heart and manage to also drop Mottram , Birmingham, Coe and Tegat and came home strongly over the upper pipe trail. Surging the uphill sections and rolling down the drops.. I got back 2 minutes faster than the journey out and 6 minutes faster over all than previous runs this year.

Watch out for tigers on the trails people....

barrel on wombats...

No comments:

Post a Comment