About Me

My photo
The older I get the better I was... but after many years of idle burrowing the candle of desire is still burning and I have come to realise that running is as much a part of me as my heart and lungs... In Christmas 2008 I was 82kg and was not running a step..This is my journey , the journey of the wombat...Dogged...determined...persistent...and maybe a little grumpy.. but like the wombat my journey is territorial, its about running and I am going to work to protect it...Come along for the ride and see if I can become the wombat warrior. 2009 was a mixed bag for the wombat's journey.A top ten placing in both the Bridges and the City Surf brought a small sense of achievement but also a degree of frustration.... I think I can do better and better I will in 2010. A better run in the Busso Half iron man in support of TV in his swim and bike ride and that was about the extent of my racing. Lets see what happens in 2010 as "My journey Continues". Now in 2011 the wombat will continue his journey, but not alone the wombat has a youngling who knows how to dig. 2015 and its a new beginning , time goes on and the journey to the 2016 World Masters is under way.

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Bugga.....

Craig O'Connnor Road does lead into Kelly's Climb or visa Versa...

For those who run this we call Kelly's climb after Troy Kelly. Troy was a fantastic WA mountain runner who trained up this bloody hill for many years. The guy was a mountain goat... he has actually been seen out at Helena of late running very early on Sunday morning. Keep your eyes out for this quiet but lethal hill climber...

It would seem that every time I establish some sort of normal routine Murphy's Law pops up like the old self righting clown. Once again I had to run in the dark because of work and family commitments. The only bonus, well actually there were two, was that 1. I was still getting a run done and 2. I was so pissed off that I was running late that my pace was sitting on 3m24s/km for the 3 miles (5km).

The wombat's life was so much easier when I was a young runner. Wake up run, go to school, come home run, eat dinner that was cooked, usually left in the oven for me as I was normally training when every one else was eating. Then go to bed. During the school holidays I could remove the need to go to school. At college it was pretty much a similar routine, assignments were only a slight inconvenience as I usually did these the night before they were due. The when I entered the work force I would still run , then work , then run again. If I worked late then I could get down to the river late and get what ever I needed to run that day.

As a working family wombat the logistics of this simple act of running becomes a scheduled and planned mission. Leave work and get the run done prior to getting home. This is always a very small window and if I miss it, like I did yesterday I need to wait until after tea to get this done or I can eat and wait even longer so I don't run with a stitch for the entire way. Add to this that the later I run the later I get to bed as it takes me a while to come down from my run in terms of temperature and mental activity. Running at 10.30pm means bed by 11.30 midnight. Any earlier and I Lay awake perspiring and over heating.

I guess I should not complain though, Mrs Wombat encourage my running and at the end of the day I can run... I just wish I could run earlier that bloody midnight....

Lets see what happens today as I am supposed to be stopping at Helena for a solo session along the pipe. I think Tergat was going to take me on today.....

Barrel on wombats...

1 comment:

  1. I raced Troy in a couple of 1500s at high school but I was always at least half a lap behind him. I think I came 3rd behind him and Todd in the Kalamunda mountain run one year too.
    With the orienteering season starting up (racing in Victoria this weekend) I don't think I'm actually going to have a free Sunday morning until about October now so you probably won't be seeing me for a while.

    ReplyDelete