About Me

My photo
The older I get the better I was... but after many years of idle burrowing the candle of desire is still burning and I have come to realise that running is as much a part of me as my heart and lungs... In Christmas 2008 I was 82kg and was not running a step..This is my journey , the journey of the wombat...Dogged...determined...persistent...and maybe a little grumpy.. but like the wombat my journey is territorial, its about running and I am going to work to protect it...Come along for the ride and see if I can become the wombat warrior. 2009 was a mixed bag for the wombat's journey.A top ten placing in both the Bridges and the City Surf brought a small sense of achievement but also a degree of frustration.... I think I can do better and better I will in 2010. A better run in the Busso Half iron man in support of TV in his swim and bike ride and that was about the extent of my racing. Lets see what happens in 2010 as "My journey Continues". Now in 2011 the wombat will continue his journey, but not alone the wombat has a youngling who knows how to dig. 2015 and its a new beginning , time goes on and the journey to the 2016 World Masters is under way.

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Get a plan...

We must all find our own way....

With so much information around about running, about what the top guys are doing and about how to run it is a little surprising that we still look to coaches for guidance.

In reality the coach is there to support and guide in an effort to enable the athletes to reach their full potential. The problem with programs on the Internet and taking on another athletes program is that while it worked for that athlete the same may not be for another.

While I have helped only a small number of athletes and while elements of the programs have been the same and the philosophy of the program has been the same there have been differences, WHY? because each of us is different. You can't expect to pick up Mona's training program and begin to do it if you have not run before. Yet a lot of people do. Mona ran some long mileage , with some really quality sessions but he built up to it and did it day in day out.

My own program at the moment is very different to what I was doing when I was 30... There is no way I could run 200 -220 km at the moment. It would kill me. Yet a decade ago it was a piece of cake. I just did it.

So why is the coach there... to add a degree of reality to the program. There would be some people I cold not coach. Not because they could not be coached but simply because I don't have the time to watch every session , they need to be able to work under their own steam 95% of the time. The 'Rock" who I helped out a few years ago was fantastic. He just did the work. If he was sore he let me know and we worked around it but other than that he did the sessions which meant I was not second guessing him and wondering if he had done the last session and whether or not I have to alter the next session because he had missed the previous session.

Another athlete I helped was different again as they tended to miss sessions which made it hard meant we were always having to juggle and modify the program.......

In a nutshell be careful what you read in terms of following a program... Anyway I gotta go I found this really good program of Sebastian Coe's and I want to get my 10 1 mile repeats done before I start the gym session...

Barrel on wombats...

No comments:

Post a Comment