About Me

My photo
The older I get the better I was... but after many years of idle burrowing the candle of desire is still burning and I have come to realise that running is as much a part of me as my heart and lungs... In Christmas 2008 I was 82kg and was not running a step..This is my journey , the journey of the wombat...Dogged...determined...persistent...and maybe a little grumpy.. but like the wombat my journey is territorial, its about running and I am going to work to protect it...Come along for the ride and see if I can become the wombat warrior. 2009 was a mixed bag for the wombat's journey.A top ten placing in both the Bridges and the City Surf brought a small sense of achievement but also a degree of frustration.... I think I can do better and better I will in 2010. A better run in the Busso Half iron man in support of TV in his swim and bike ride and that was about the extent of my racing. Lets see what happens in 2010 as "My journey Continues". Now in 2011 the wombat will continue his journey, but not alone the wombat has a youngling who knows how to dig. 2015 and its a new beginning , time goes on and the journey to the 2016 World Masters is under way.

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Big Week along with the Tan....

I included this clip which has nothing to do with running because I enjoyed it.

Anyway what a week. left for Melbourne on Wednesday, ran for an hour prior to leaving, arrived Melbourne 10pm, picked up the hire coaches and travelled, along with 26 other colleagues, to Berwick arriving at hotel by 1am (EST) and then went for a 5 mile run to try and wake up the legs and settle before hitting the sack. Woke at 6.30am Thursday morning, drove to the College for an all day professional learning session, drove back to Quest Narre Warren and went for a 9 mile run. Discovered the Wilson Botanical gardens and ran circuits around the undulating gardens. Really pleased with how I felt.

Friday another full day of professional learning then drove the group back along the M1 and into Melbourne. Settled into the hotel and headed out along the Yarra to the Tan to see if could catch up with any old mates. Ended up running 3 laps of the Tan and then coming back along the Yarra. Bloody great run and fantastic to be in cooler weather. Another 9 miles.

Saturday I ran out along a similar course and ran across Tyson Popplestone. This young guy was running in Perth when he was a tiny lad and to see him still running and running well was fantastic. Kept him company for a while and ran an additional lap of the Tan with him just because I could. Ty is off to the world university cross country championships , an event that I pointed out to him as having been the stepping stone for a number of our Australian distance runners. Another 9 mile run.

Sunday up early and out along the Yarra and around the MCG, Tennis centre and Olympic Park. Looped around the Tan again and just because I could. Thousands of runners gathering for the 'Run for the Kids' Fun run. Mona was compare of this event and as usual was able to provide plenty of worthwhile advice to competitors. fantastic that he will be in Perth this weekend. Continued to loop around the park then explored the Docklands and around the stadium which the night before we watched the Dogs smash the Saints. Watched the start of the 5km fun run and then saw the 10km runners come through. Gave Rod DeHighden (Rowdy) a loud cheer as he ran past in the 10km, still obviously fit as he was near the front of the pack. Finally headed in through Melbourne and then back to hotel... A solid morning run and ready for the flight home.

Really pleased with a week of 65 miles. This will give me some good fitness confidence for the Bridges in two weeks time. In the mean time I still have a great deal of running to do....but at least now I am again comfortable running for extended period over a number for days.

Barrel on Wombats...

1 comment: