About Me

My photo
The older I get the better I was... but after many years of idle burrowing the candle of desire is still burning and I have come to realise that running is as much a part of me as my heart and lungs... In Christmas 2008 I was 82kg and was not running a step..This is my journey , the journey of the wombat...Dogged...determined...persistent...and maybe a little grumpy.. but like the wombat my journey is territorial, its about running and I am going to work to protect it...Come along for the ride and see if I can become the wombat warrior. 2009 was a mixed bag for the wombat's journey.A top ten placing in both the Bridges and the City Surf brought a small sense of achievement but also a degree of frustration.... I think I can do better and better I will in 2010. A better run in the Busso Half iron man in support of TV in his swim and bike ride and that was about the extent of my racing. Lets see what happens in 2010 as "My journey Continues". Now in 2011 the wombat will continue his journey, but not alone the wombat has a youngling who knows how to dig. 2015 and its a new beginning , time goes on and the journey to the 2016 World Masters is under way.

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Shit...bum...bugga

The wombat has once again achieved the impossible........ A no show for the Bridges... A big congratulations to Todd for another win over the 10km course and well done to Courtney Carter in the State 5km Track Title, I believe Raf had a good win in the triathlon changed to Duathlon after the Swan river went septic ... and the Wombat , well he was sulking into his Coco Pops.

Had been running really well then the cards began to crumble. Tuesday worked hard over a gradual uphill course, during the return journey my right calf/Achilles began to get sore after another 1km it got worse so I backed right off and only ran 6 miles of the planned 10miles. made an appointment with Nathan Doig "Mr Magic" for the next day. Got a good solid rub and as directed only ran a very easy 2 miles, was to be 3 but a little sore... Thursday went for an easy run and the pain returned after 2 miles and then sat with me for the next 3miles , again stopped at this point and made a call to the physio....

Explained the situation to Cameron and suggested it was at the junction of the Achilles and Calf and guess what ???? It was... Cam worked it and needled it and then delivered the verdict... I would seriously not race on that Sunday... I gave him the " You are not serious " look and he returned with the " Do I look like I am joking " look... I gave him the " Shit!!!!" look and he returned with the " make another appointment" look.. he then added keep doing your ice (frozen water not lines) . .. (It is at these times that you appreciate surrounding yourself with people you can trust because I know if Cam is telling me not to run he really means don't run), your stretching and your raises.......

No run Friday, not run Saturday and woke Sunday to on going discomfort... Currently working madly to get it right for next week so I can toe the line for the masters but I guess time will tell. mean while I am doing any exercise that I am allowed to do without stressing the Achilles..

Time will tell I guess......

Barrell on wombats

2 comments:

  1. commiserations....sorry to hear that! all the best with getting it right...guess if you dont make it Friday I'll have to settle for just Paul and some people Ive never heard of lapping me in the 10,000m and that would be very disappointing, so hope it comes good in time for Friday. But these things happen. All the best. Interesting that Monaghetti is a schoolteacher...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope your injury has calmed down enough for the weekend ; best of luck. Hope to see you (up ahead) in the 5k on Sunday.

    ReplyDelete