About Me

My photo
The older I get the better I was... but after many years of idle burrowing the candle of desire is still burning and I have come to realise that running is as much a part of me as my heart and lungs... In Christmas 2008 I was 82kg and was not running a step..This is my journey , the journey of the wombat...Dogged...determined...persistent...and maybe a little grumpy.. but like the wombat my journey is territorial, its about running and I am going to work to protect it...Come along for the ride and see if I can become the wombat warrior. 2009 was a mixed bag for the wombat's journey.A top ten placing in both the Bridges and the City Surf brought a small sense of achievement but also a degree of frustration.... I think I can do better and better I will in 2010. A better run in the Busso Half iron man in support of TV in his swim and bike ride and that was about the extent of my racing. Lets see what happens in 2010 as "My journey Continues". Now in 2011 the wombat will continue his journey, but not alone the wombat has a youngling who knows how to dig. 2015 and its a new beginning , time goes on and the journey to the 2016 World Masters is under way.

Monday, June 15, 2009

Sunday Long Run...


Man it was tough mentally and the head games were on after 45minutes.. In some ways the two hours this Sunday was tougher than last weeks hour and a half.. My legs actually felt a lot stronger than last week (May have had something to do with the fact that I had not done an hour of junior football umpiring prior) but I was weary and a part of me kept shouting to turn back every 5 minutes. Ultimately I did make it out to the hour turn around point and got back but the bitch of a hill was ugly running.. not pretty at all I mean parents were pulling their kids off the streets.. This run for me marked the start of the week and tonight's surge session already puts the wombat at 28 miles for the week so it looks to be a heavy week of training to come if I can maintain the effort,,
Last week was solid with Sunday long run sessions on Monday, Thursday and Saturday despite a bout of a stomach wog and I finished the week on 50 miles.. Again this is a long way from my target but its heading up and that's important.
The wisest of wombats has provided the paving stones for my journey and I am sure I will get there but his words of wisdom call for 4 months of base building prior to any significant changes. In this time my long runs will build and be sustained at 2hr 30min and I will need to pay considerable attention to my tempo but one must be patient to be a good warrior... For the time being I am happy to be still on my feet and moving quicker than three months ago
Anyway gang i hope your journeys are going in the right direction and remember not to be to hard on yourself when things get tough .. just take a big breathe and plough on in...
Don Brooker you are a legend.... Anima Sana In Corpore Sano.... Only time will tell.
Barrel on Wombats...

No comments:

Post a Comment