About Me

My photo
The older I get the better I was... but after many years of idle burrowing the candle of desire is still burning and I have come to realise that running is as much a part of me as my heart and lungs... In Christmas 2008 I was 82kg and was not running a step..This is my journey , the journey of the wombat...Dogged...determined...persistent...and maybe a little grumpy.. but like the wombat my journey is territorial, its about running and I am going to work to protect it...Come along for the ride and see if I can become the wombat warrior. 2009 was a mixed bag for the wombat's journey.A top ten placing in both the Bridges and the City Surf brought a small sense of achievement but also a degree of frustration.... I think I can do better and better I will in 2010. A better run in the Busso Half iron man in support of TV in his swim and bike ride and that was about the extent of my racing. Lets see what happens in 2010 as "My journey Continues". Now in 2011 the wombat will continue his journey, but not alone the wombat has a youngling who knows how to dig. 2015 and its a new beginning , time goes on and the journey to the 2016 World Masters is under way.

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Long Distance Runners...Long is the key word

I have been asked a number of times about the necessity of doing a log run and how far is far enough? Should a 10km runner run for 2 hrs should a 1500m runner run for 2 hrs?

My answer to this is, and will always, be yes..

Sebastian Coe a brilliant miler, 1500m and 800m runner in his book talks about doing long runs. Herb Elliott did long runs and ended his career undefeated over the 1500m distance. Ron Clarke did long runs and set world records for 5ooom and 10000m , his Australian records have only , in the last decade been broken by runner who do long runs. Emil Zatopek did long runs Lasse Viren did long runs. I could go on for hours with the names of runners both middle and long who do and did long runs.

You see the wombat believes that it is no good being the fastest in the field if you are not strong enough to be there at the end. The long run builds strength it builds endurance... Just ask Courtney Carter, Mona, Deek, Birmingham, Tucker, Troop and Mottram. Not only do some of these runners have good marathon times (those that have run them) but they have bloody fast 1500m/5000m and 10000m times too.

The long run(and I am not talking about just plodding along but rather running at a steady even sustainable pace) and the tempo run help to build a solid foundation on which to run fast times. Simple example. Lets say that I am a runner who can run fast over 1500m along with another runner who can run just as fast over 1500m. When we step up to 2000m or 3000m both our times drop off. In other words neither of us can sustain the pace that we need to hold . Its not that I can't run fast its simply that I can't run fast for a long time... How do I get stronger then...? Easy I run further so that I can develop the strength to maintain this speed for longer.....

by running longer the body learns to be efficient, it learns to burn fuel , it learns to function under fatigue put simply it learns.... When I took my big break its not that I got any slower I could still run as fast as I used to only I could only do it for 30m before I feel into a hole... I got on the track the other day and guess what ????? I managed a 60second lap. It killed me.... 4 months ago this would not have been possible...why? no strength or fitness. as I get fitter I get stronger as I get stronger I can run further for longer at a faster rate.

Again two weeks ago I ran for 2hours and it smashed me... I ran for 2hrs this week and it felt easier because I am getting stronger, fitter, the body is learning to cope with the strain.....

No there is an argument that you wont get any faster by running for 2hrs and doing tempo runs . This is correct to a point... if you run 3minutes for 1km and that is as fast as you go then you wont get any faster however if you can run 3minutes for a km why do you run 6m20 second for 2km and 36minutes for 10km???? because you are not strong enough to run 3 minutes for 10km.. It is a very real possibility that someone who can run 3minutes for 1km could potentially run 30 minutes or at the very least 31 minutes for 10km.....

That's the wombats thoughts anyway....

Barrel on Wombats...

No comments:

Post a Comment