About Me

My photo
The older I get the better I was... but after many years of idle burrowing the candle of desire is still burning and I have come to realise that running is as much a part of me as my heart and lungs... In Christmas 2008 I was 82kg and was not running a step..This is my journey , the journey of the wombat...Dogged...determined...persistent...and maybe a little grumpy.. but like the wombat my journey is territorial, its about running and I am going to work to protect it...Come along for the ride and see if I can become the wombat warrior. 2009 was a mixed bag for the wombat's journey.A top ten placing in both the Bridges and the City Surf brought a small sense of achievement but also a degree of frustration.... I think I can do better and better I will in 2010. A better run in the Busso Half iron man in support of TV in his swim and bike ride and that was about the extent of my racing. Lets see what happens in 2010 as "My journey Continues". Now in 2011 the wombat will continue his journey, but not alone the wombat has a youngling who knows how to dig. 2015 and its a new beginning , time goes on and the journey to the 2016 World Masters is under way.

Saturday, June 27, 2009

Solid week.......

This week has been a tough one which saw me clock 70miles for the week (approx 112km).... A big chunk being quality in comparison to the week before. I also had to be careful as I broke the 10% rule this week with a leap from 53+ miles last week.

Sunday started out well and I ran for 2hr through Helena Valley (18 miles) this was done after an easy 3 miles in the morning which came on top of an hour of Junior football umpiring. Starting the run at 3.30pm meant that I was coming home on dusk and in some places the footing got a little dodgy.

Monday was a solid 10 miles , the majority of it being done around Hyde Park and I made sure that I was coming home solid over the last 2 miles.

Tuesday (8miles) was another late run this time from Steel Blue oval in Bassendean. It rained hard for most of the run which I did not start until 7.30pm and by the time I got home I was smashed. This run incorporated a slightly modified mona session and I felt strong throughout.

Wednesday was a junior football meeting so again it was a late start from Steel Blue oval and again in the rain. I started out easy and soon established a good pace which I managed to sustain throughout the run. (10miles).

Thursday (10miles) was back at Yokine with a large group and after a good warm up we hit our straps with a solid session for the evening. Pleasantly smashed for the night and spent it chasing the younger runners.

Friday (3miles) was a little week but as I left the burrow I noticed that I was rooted. Already well up on last week in terms of mileage I backed off significantly and just ran through Kangaroo rise..

Saturday was a bastard, left the run late and stepped out the door into torrential rain and wind. Ran 8 laps of the block ( just over 1700 per lap) The block is an undulating loop and I worked the pace from steady even to solid. Initially 7 minutes per lap, this was down to 6min 20sec by the last lap as they steadily got faster. I felt strong throughout and left the run with a great sense of achievement.

This is my biggest mileage for a long time but the hard bit now will be to maintain it. I am hoping that my strength will develop through the program which will compensate slightly for what I have lost in speed over the years. I am constantly telling myself that it does not have to happen over night and this is something that I need to be wary of so as not to get into injury trouble....

Barrel on wombats...

1 comment:

  1. What a week! Well done wombat! Agree re be wary of injury/burnout with the mileage jump. However experienced wombats like yourself, should be able to handle it if you proceed with caution. was cyclonic weather at times this week. I use the internet forecasts to try and avoid the worst of it, good move to run back from steel blue oval. I can relate to the night runs and 3.30pm start, I'm often getting out there at 1.30pm or 9.30pm as thay are often the best free time windows I get...Its totally worth it though! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete