About Me

My photo
The older I get the better I was... but after many years of idle burrowing the candle of desire is still burning and I have come to realise that running is as much a part of me as my heart and lungs... In Christmas 2008 I was 82kg and was not running a step..This is my journey , the journey of the wombat...Dogged...determined...persistent...and maybe a little grumpy.. but like the wombat my journey is territorial, its about running and I am going to work to protect it...Come along for the ride and see if I can become the wombat warrior. 2009 was a mixed bag for the wombat's journey.A top ten placing in both the Bridges and the City Surf brought a small sense of achievement but also a degree of frustration.... I think I can do better and better I will in 2010. A better run in the Busso Half iron man in support of TV in his swim and bike ride and that was about the extent of my racing. Lets see what happens in 2010 as "My journey Continues". Now in 2011 the wombat will continue his journey, but not alone the wombat has a youngling who knows how to dig. 2015 and its a new beginning , time goes on and the journey to the 2016 World Masters is under way.

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Well done Perth....

It's been a long time since I was up at 5am preparing for an event and the sound of the alarm was pretty harsh to wake to. The young wombats were taking part in the Weetbix Try-athlon down on the Perth Swan River Esplanade.

My oldest had to be registered between 7am and 7.30 so the youngest had to get ready at the same time to be leaving the burrow by 6.15am. The morning at home was calm as the boys had prepared the night before and a light breakfast saw us getting underway almost spot on time.

The Perth weather was fantastic clear Sky's and a cool breeze initially however it did warm up by mid morning. This mornings event was part of an Australian series of event for kids to encourage them to get active. No times are taken, no placings are given. The emphasis is on participation and completing the course. Having said that each kid had his or her own gaols set and the look of determination on their faces was wonderful to see.




The series is the biggest mass participation event for kids world wide and the Perth leg saw 2180 kids taking part raging in ages from 7 -15.



While there were a few minor hiccups the overall event was run bloody well and the organisers needed to give themselves a massive pat on the back. Kids were swimming , riding and running but above all they were really getting into it.

The swim leg varies in distance for the 7 -10 age group and the 11 - 15 age group and this year the Swan was high enough for the kids to actually swim. The ride leg takes place on a traffic free course along riverside drive and the final run is completed along the Esplanade. The kids are cheered and clapped by everyone and even us parents are well behaved and seem to understand that today is not about winning but giving our kids a positive experience with a competitive sport.

My two wombats had a ball and while it was the first time for my youngest this is the fourth time for my oldest. Well done Tri Australia you did yourself proud today. As for Perth well , the foreshore was being used for what it was intended for , families and kids having fun.


Barrel on Wombats.....

1 comment:

  1. Always good when the whole family can share in some good sports activity. Thats why I got my wife and toddler to walk the city to surf 4k, and the Melbourne Marathon festival 5k, a few times, while I did the Marathon or the Half, so they were a part of the good things, and hopefully will go on with it one day, plus as a family we all got to share in something good together. Not always possible, but when it is, its worth the extra effort to make it happen. The more things like that triathlon thing happens the better for everyone...

    ReplyDelete