About Me

My photo
The older I get the better I was... but after many years of idle burrowing the candle of desire is still burning and I have come to realise that running is as much a part of me as my heart and lungs... In Christmas 2008 I was 82kg and was not running a step..This is my journey , the journey of the wombat...Dogged...determined...persistent...and maybe a little grumpy.. but like the wombat my journey is territorial, its about running and I am going to work to protect it...Come along for the ride and see if I can become the wombat warrior. 2009 was a mixed bag for the wombat's journey.A top ten placing in both the Bridges and the City Surf brought a small sense of achievement but also a degree of frustration.... I think I can do better and better I will in 2010. A better run in the Busso Half iron man in support of TV in his swim and bike ride and that was about the extent of my racing. Lets see what happens in 2010 as "My journey Continues". Now in 2011 the wombat will continue his journey, but not alone the wombat has a youngling who knows how to dig. 2015 and its a new beginning , time goes on and the journey to the 2016 World Masters is under way.

Friday, February 18, 2011

Solid Week and a track viewing...


The heat has not helped the training but I have been pleased that I have continued to slug it out rather than regress eating snack foods and
drinking beer. This tends to negate the overall training effect and I end up putting weight on again. (Goal weight 65kg)

Ran on the Thursday with Raf's group at Yokine and just cruised around with Josh and Raf. Impressed by a little fella, Mikey, who chased Jas and Dale all night. Pretty warm night but got the laps done and they go into the diary.

I have been doing some smaller weight workouts in the shed along with some modified core work in an effort to strengthen the core and also the glute max. At the moment this just seems to make me sore, hopefully the extra work will pay off in the long. I know it will actually, just want it to happen now and not later.

Went down to the track on Friday ni
ght to give the boys a cheer in the 5km. Each and every time I go to the track I think how lucky these guys are. the track is magnificent
and the fact that the distance events can be run under lights, with very little wind is a far cry from the 1pm schedule with either it being 40 degrees in the shade or blowing a gale at the old site in my time. I guess prior to Perry Lakes the runner before wold have said the same thing when they used to run on Leederville.

The race was pretty solid. A very good pack formed early and they boys worked even laps of 70-71s for the first 8-9 laps. The group of Marc, Josh, Ethan, Thomas, Raf, Roberto all were in the mix until Marc put his foot down and stretched the group. Very impressed with Raf who got into a rut with 4
laps of running left. he could have easily settled into Roberto's rhythm but rather ran around him in the front straight and chased Thomas. This paid off and he soon caught Bruin and locked onto Eth
an's back. See ran hard and stretched a lead out on Ethan over the remaining 4 laps to take a comfortable win in a Pb. Unofficial around 14m36s. Raf also turned out a Pb for third place behind Ethan in around 14m47s unofficial.
Coddi, the White Knight, was also on the track and copped a fair bit of Sledging for his choice of running apparel. Many of us thought that this was the reason he spent 95% of the race running in no man's land.Later that night I enjoyed a solo run , in the dark around Perry Lakes and the surrounding streets.

This morning's Sunday run was also pretty warm and I made a start from the Approach Road Get heading out along the quarry before dropping down into Helena Valley and running out along the pipeline. Saw Barts heading out as I returned along the route but the boys had not started en mass from the car park by this stage so It was very much a solo run this morning for the wombat.

Looking forward to the next week and will keep you posted on the weeks progress.

Barrel on Wombats...

2 comments:

  1. Was a special race that one, 5 people under 15! I enjoyed having a run in it too in the wonderful conditions, even if I was 20th. I remember well the saturday arvos at Perry lakes. much better with the new setup.
    Massive effort from Raf. Hopefully there is another race or two like that one to come this summer.
    The top 8;
    1 See, Marc SSN 14:38.6h 2 Heywood, Ethan SSN 14:44.4h 3 Baugh, Rafael AWA 14:46.7h 4 Bruins, Thomas UWA 14:54.6h 5 Busi, Roberto AWA 14:59.9h 6. Cody Angell 15.25 7. Gerry Hill 15.51 8. Paul Mitchell 16.09.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok so not a question relating to running but is that Rbbie Spurrs in the photo as in Philly Macintrye's cousin? random question I know!

    ReplyDelete