About Me

My photo
The older I get the better I was... but after many years of idle burrowing the candle of desire is still burning and I have come to realise that running is as much a part of me as my heart and lungs... In Christmas 2008 I was 82kg and was not running a step..This is my journey , the journey of the wombat...Dogged...determined...persistent...and maybe a little grumpy.. but like the wombat my journey is territorial, its about running and I am going to work to protect it...Come along for the ride and see if I can become the wombat warrior. 2009 was a mixed bag for the wombat's journey.A top ten placing in both the Bridges and the City Surf brought a small sense of achievement but also a degree of frustration.... I think I can do better and better I will in 2010. A better run in the Busso Half iron man in support of TV in his swim and bike ride and that was about the extent of my racing. Lets see what happens in 2010 as "My journey Continues". Now in 2011 the wombat will continue his journey, but not alone the wombat has a youngling who knows how to dig. 2015 and its a new beginning , time goes on and the journey to the 2016 World Masters is under way.

Saturday, February 5, 2011

The weekend can be a time to build....

For the same reason that Australian athletes of all shapes, sizes and ability levels travel to Falls Creek every year the weekend can work in the same way. As a very young wombat I read about Derek Clayton and it was during this time of the week that he did a phenomenal amount of work. In fact eh was almost animalistic in his approach to training and the weekend.

As a wombat who works full time, and always has even as during my hay days, the weekend was a time to do some solid work. This came about for two reasons, again similarly to Falls Creek, there are no interruptions from work and there is time to rest between sessions. (Well this held true until little wombats arrived on the scene.)

Ideally you could get a Friday run done, wake Saturday and smash a morning session, recover, put in s light gym workout, recover, do the evening run, sleep, wake for the Sunday long run, recover (sleep) and then hit out the Sunday afternoon run. It also was a time where you could do some big mileage. Again because there was plenty of time to recover.

The same is a bit harder to achieve during the working week when a busy day of decision making, dealing with people and trying to manage a work site can leave you feeling flat prior to a session or run.

The Sunday long run is also a bonus of the weekend for those who train in the morning during the week. During the week if you over sleep its often a case of cutting the am run short. On the Sunday run if you over sleep it just tended to mean that you just ran a little bit later and possibly meant that you were a bit late for the family reunion that you did not really want to attend anyway.

Think of the weekend as a session within itself and use the time to recover, build and strengthen those things that you can't work on during the weekday....

Barrel on wombats...

1 comment: