About Me

My photo
The older I get the better I was... but after many years of idle burrowing the candle of desire is still burning and I have come to realise that running is as much a part of me as my heart and lungs... In Christmas 2008 I was 82kg and was not running a step..This is my journey , the journey of the wombat...Dogged...determined...persistent...and maybe a little grumpy.. but like the wombat my journey is territorial, its about running and I am going to work to protect it...Come along for the ride and see if I can become the wombat warrior. 2009 was a mixed bag for the wombat's journey.A top ten placing in both the Bridges and the City Surf brought a small sense of achievement but also a degree of frustration.... I think I can do better and better I will in 2010. A better run in the Busso Half iron man in support of TV in his swim and bike ride and that was about the extent of my racing. Lets see what happens in 2010 as "My journey Continues". Now in 2011 the wombat will continue his journey, but not alone the wombat has a youngling who knows how to dig. 2015 and its a new beginning , time goes on and the journey to the 2016 World Masters is under way.

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Another run in humidity that would put Queensland to shame... At least by the time I had finished it was raining... Saw no one again throughout the run. Gotta love the solitude of distance running...

Again through the back tracks of Jacoby Park and out to the old Burnt Bush Road... I do find it amazing that after years of not running up here I can still recognise the old land marks that signal the turn off to cross through the bush to the Northern side of the Weir...

Using a new watch that I recently purchased.. Still not sure on the new technologies. Running used to be a simple matter of putting on my shoes throwing on the singlet, and shorts (in case you were wondering , and then heading out the door. If it was cold I would put a singlet over a Tshirt.It took me years to get used to wearing sunglasses and even now I still don't put them on religiously....... NOW I check that the footpod is secure adjust all that is necessary and off I go...

The watch chimes every km , something I have not yet figured out how to turn off ( I tend to work it out without reading the instructions) and according to the GPS I averaged 4m38s/km with a max pace of 3m 55s/km ( may have been when I thought I had a wild pig behind me, adrenalin tends to do that to your pace) Interestingly going through my old diaries I was almost spot on with the distance that I thought I had run without the use of the GPS watch. (Garmin FR60).. Even my pace judgement was pretty close. Guess that comes with having run miles and miles over the years. Why the flash watch then,,, ????? Well my well loved Casio died on me and I have been searching the planet for a watch that did everything that the old one did. Quite a difficult task in hind sight. It turned out that I could get a watch which would make me a coffee, do up my shoe laces while booking flights and accommodation to Disneyland but they just would not allow me to run a repeat interval session off 30sec on 30 sec off or better still 5min on 1 minute off. This one comes close without weighing 4 tonne but its still not the same as the good old Casio. (what were they thinking when they stopped making it, Actually found someone who could fix it but by that time the watch was gone , thrown out, which is interesting as I tend to not throw out running shoes in case I hurt their feelings.)

Anyways back to the run... Moved well throughout the journey and even seemed to maintain my pace during the climbs (according to the FR60) Only problem was that according to the heart rate monitor I was flat lining. Guess I wont be wearing that again. Besides who needs the heart rate monitor, if you vomit it was a hard session , if you didn't you were running easy and if your wet then it is most likely raining.

Mrs Wombat is just happy I am running as she feels I am a better human being when I am running. Wished I had never stopped actually.... Still one foot in front of the other is the goal and if I can get to the stage where I can do that really quickly I will be a happy athlete.. Bet that Radar is loving Falls, Courts is enjoying Barcelona and Young Patto is hopefully keeping fit in Rio.... Wonder how Jas is going with using his knees... ( see you out their Blazer!!)

Barrel on wombats...

1 comment:

  1. wheres the casio when you want it... I had a Timex once, that was a nice watch. these days I just grab a $10 wristwatch from kmart funny thing is Ive never used a garmin and never got lost at 6 inch 46km trails race in my 5 finishes there. but I saw my coach from the days when I was multiple state champion racewalker at the track last year (getting in some practice for his persistent medal (mostly Gold, but had to cop the silver in 2010) hauls at Australian Masters champs each year), and he reminded me to stop lookiong at my watch wasting time and take it off altogether in races, I did and ran a 14.6 100m as a result....watches have their place/uses, but I am glad I cant justify the expense on a garmin, although I have splashed out on the calf guards...barrel on (with a wristwatch or forget the watch altoigether...)

    ReplyDelete