About Me

My photo
The older I get the better I was... but after many years of idle burrowing the candle of desire is still burning and I have come to realise that running is as much a part of me as my heart and lungs... In Christmas 2008 I was 82kg and was not running a step..This is my journey , the journey of the wombat...Dogged...determined...persistent...and maybe a little grumpy.. but like the wombat my journey is territorial, its about running and I am going to work to protect it...Come along for the ride and see if I can become the wombat warrior. 2009 was a mixed bag for the wombat's journey.A top ten placing in both the Bridges and the City Surf brought a small sense of achievement but also a degree of frustration.... I think I can do better and better I will in 2010. A better run in the Busso Half iron man in support of TV in his swim and bike ride and that was about the extent of my racing. Lets see what happens in 2010 as "My journey Continues". Now in 2011 the wombat will continue his journey, but not alone the wombat has a youngling who knows how to dig. 2015 and its a new beginning , time goes on and the journey to the 2016 World Masters is under way.

Sunday, February 14, 2010

We do because we can.....

Another few weeks of running and the feeling in the legs is telling me that I'm slowly, ever so slowly getting stronger.

On my recent longer runs I have been asking myself why I run and each and every time I find I come up with the same answer.... " Because I can"

I am finding that as I get older the things that I often took for granted as a younger runner and even as a younger person I am now cherishing more. The ability to actually get up should be celebrated and the ability to run more so...

I think I mentioned many blogs ago that t was not until I stopped running that I realised how much I missed it and now with all my might I am trying to regain what purposely gave up.... the ability to run and run fast...

If I could say one thing to young wombats it would be do it while you can and do it to the highest level that you can while you can... Each of us has an ability and we should try and make the most of that ability until we are no longer able to do it...

Doing the longer runs through Helena Valley with the younger runners reminds me of when I was younger too and used to tag along with the older guys hoping to one day beat them... Now I am the older guy hoping that I can just keep up with them....

It is great to be up in the hills again with Courtney Carter and Mark See and even the return on Nathan Doig brings a smile to my dial. Each of these guys has the arrogance of youth and the enthusiasm to match.... In time I am sure they will ultimately produce some fantastic times on both the track and the road, in the mean time they train.

I am again having more good runs than poor runs and each Sunday the long run seems to get a little easier but at the same time a little longer. I am hoping that the strength will soon enable me to punch out some solid sessions just so that I can get used to a higher cadence of running. This in turn will assist me with my racing.

Looking forward to the national Masters in Perth in April but more so looking forward to catching up with Mona when he holds a distance running camp at Nanaga this March. ts not often that we get to run with such a calibre of runner and the fact that he will be in Perth to do this makes it all the better. I hope a lot of the younger guys get out there too. This will enable everyone to have a really good weekend of running.

Anyway peoples hope to see you out there...
Barrel on wombats....

No comments:

Post a Comment