About Me

My photo
The older I get the better I was... but after many years of idle burrowing the candle of desire is still burning and I have come to realise that running is as much a part of me as my heart and lungs... In Christmas 2008 I was 82kg and was not running a step..This is my journey , the journey of the wombat...Dogged...determined...persistent...and maybe a little grumpy.. but like the wombat my journey is territorial, its about running and I am going to work to protect it...Come along for the ride and see if I can become the wombat warrior. 2009 was a mixed bag for the wombat's journey.A top ten placing in both the Bridges and the City Surf brought a small sense of achievement but also a degree of frustration.... I think I can do better and better I will in 2010. A better run in the Busso Half iron man in support of TV in his swim and bike ride and that was about the extent of my racing. Lets see what happens in 2010 as "My journey Continues". Now in 2011 the wombat will continue his journey, but not alone the wombat has a youngling who knows how to dig. 2015 and its a new beginning , time goes on and the journey to the 2016 World Masters is under way.

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

He aint heavy he's a wombat......

Thought I might put a picture of one tough son of a wombat " Mona" on my blog today. This is a photo of the old man himself making the home run from Spion Kjope one of the very testing and tough runs at Falls Creek this year.... Having run this 14 mile course myself I know how bloody hard it can be. There have been times when the weather comes in and visibility is almost zero but I guess its these things that make you a runner and Mona was certainly that.

Its fantastic that he is coming to Perth in a few weeks to run a camp at Nanga. This is going to provide those who get along to it a great opportunity to not only run with this wombat of all wombats but a chance to talk with him. Having trained with him for long periods on some of the Australian teams I managed to scrap into I know that he will have some stories to share.

Falls Creek is certainly one thing I miss about being really fit. It was always great to get into the mountains and just train eat and sleep for 3 -5 weeks. In that time you did some fantastic session but you also got to do with some of the best runner in Australia with the occasional import thrown in.

This week is looking to be a bloody grind. Sunday was just hard from the word go. I went to a 40th and did not drink so that I would not be hung over for the Sunday long run. Drinking coke and water but still woke up feeling like I had been on the turps all night. parked at Victor Road gate and run across the river bed to meet with Courts, Tamblin and See. From here we went out along the lower pipeline to Kelly's climb picking up Nuttan along the way. Nuttan turned slightly before the hill. while Courts, See and Tamblin went on and up I turned at the hill base and came back along the upper pipe. Felling like absolute shit I decided to try and lift myself by chasing Nuttan hoping that at every turn I would see the man who defies anatomical reasoning by running without the use of knees. (He's got them , just does not use them).

At the point where I had decided I would run fast until I caught him even if it meant going further than I had intended Stew Denton, who was on his way out, informed me he was only a 100 or so meters ahead.. Needless to say I managed to catch him coming up past the water treatment plant. A small victory on an otherwise tough grinding outing.

Tonight was the same, while the young wombats were doing tennis I ran up the the old railway track to Coppin Road from Glen Forest. Again it was a mind game the whole way. While the subconscious was shouting to stop I was consciously saying to myself at the nest tee I will turn and the next tree I will turn but each time running on until eventually I got to the road. Angry with myself for being a weak bastard I pushed down the incline to get home a solid 2 minutes quicker than my effort going out.... Just a grind but still got it done.......

Why is it that sometimes the things we enjoy the most can also be the hardest. I know that I am getting fitter and putting the shoes on each day is a pleasure but boy oh boy if I miss that window when I feel like doing it , it just becomes an internal battle.....

I hope you won battle today......

Barrel on wombats.....

4 comments:

  1. I is the weight of the world causing the Nut to run kneeless. Next week I won't be as preoccupied with the gum trees and will listen out for the old wombat a little ealier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah... I've finally found where the Wombat has been hiding and now even sharing tales. Only a few times this year have I caught him out of his burrow and the Sunday morning runs have been better for his esteemed company... and quicker-than-most wit. Hope you can keep up the hard training and with us younger ones beating your times, hopefully that will stir something in you to keep you hungry for the next few years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We shall see Mr C..... The 1500 gone still leaves the 3k, 5k and 10k....

    and who knows maybe the old wombat still has some hard racing in him yet......

    ReplyDelete
  4. rest assured that post was not made by the mr c you may have been referring to - he puts his name to every post!

    ReplyDelete