About Me

My photo
The older I get the better I was... but after many years of idle burrowing the candle of desire is still burning and I have come to realise that running is as much a part of me as my heart and lungs... In Christmas 2008 I was 82kg and was not running a step..This is my journey , the journey of the wombat...Dogged...determined...persistent...and maybe a little grumpy.. but like the wombat my journey is territorial, its about running and I am going to work to protect it...Come along for the ride and see if I can become the wombat warrior. 2009 was a mixed bag for the wombat's journey.A top ten placing in both the Bridges and the City Surf brought a small sense of achievement but also a degree of frustration.... I think I can do better and better I will in 2010. A better run in the Busso Half iron man in support of TV in his swim and bike ride and that was about the extent of my racing. Lets see what happens in 2010 as "My journey Continues". Now in 2011 the wombat will continue his journey, but not alone the wombat has a youngling who knows how to dig. 2015 and its a new beginning , time goes on and the journey to the 2016 World Masters is under way.

Saturday, February 27, 2010

The Nocturnal Wombat....

Some weeks seem to be tougher than others and this week was one of those. If it was not for the full moon or should I say bright moon, visibility would have been a huge problem. Work and a few other factors have meant that the wombat has had to go nocturnal. Not a huge drama considering that to run at 5pm would have meant melting....... But running at 1030 and 11pm has knobs on it...

Why run then I hear you say ...... BECAUSE I can.... and I don't want me to see myself as being weak.... AS a young wombat things were easy. you ate, parents paid the bills and you ran . Basically I was the selfish runner that I needed to be to achieve certain goals. Getting a job, getting married and having young wombats changes all that. If I miss the window between work and getting home to train then I have to do the night stalk.

Don't get me wrong running late at night when the day time temperatures are in the 40s is fantastic. Apart from the odd Kangaroo that scares the shit out of me (I knew I should not have gone and seen Wolfman) things are good. The problem is that it takes me a good hour settle after a run so I am not getting to bed until midnight 1 am. not good if you need to work the next day....

Hopefully a little less stressful at work this week coming and I can establish a good routine again.
Went down to the track last night to watch the 1500m, nearly stepped on the track myself but gave myself a reason not to.... ( looked hard) Great to see a group of young runners getting around in some solid times. Mark See again ducked under 3.50 for a good win and Carter took 3 seconds of his Pb to clock a solid 3.51.47 unofficial. (Courst old man Wombat still has 0.17 up on you)I am looking forward to seeing these boys give the 8.12.6 for the 3km a bit of a shake up in the near future.

Went for a steady run with Tamblin, See and Carter through Perry lakes after the race (another dark run). Tonight was a dark run again with a trip up to Beverly to see the wombat in laws....Tomorrow will be early as its a family day so I need to be out and back before 8.30am...

Always makes for a fun morning when I need to be up before the sun...Might see some of you out there.....Watch for the wombay Mr Nuttan.......

Barrel on Wombats......

2 comments:

  1. The bush was good to me today, normally the bush isn't kind to me but it allowed me to hear the faint call of the wombat on his way home but not see him. Every now and then I check just in case, but i was safe today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am hunting Mr See....

    ReplyDelete