About Me

My photo
The older I get the better I was... but after many years of idle burrowing the candle of desire is still burning and I have come to realise that running is as much a part of me as my heart and lungs... In Christmas 2008 I was 82kg and was not running a step..This is my journey , the journey of the wombat...Dogged...determined...persistent...and maybe a little grumpy.. but like the wombat my journey is territorial, its about running and I am going to work to protect it...Come along for the ride and see if I can become the wombat warrior. 2009 was a mixed bag for the wombat's journey.A top ten placing in both the Bridges and the City Surf brought a small sense of achievement but also a degree of frustration.... I think I can do better and better I will in 2010. A better run in the Busso Half iron man in support of TV in his swim and bike ride and that was about the extent of my racing. Lets see what happens in 2010 as "My journey Continues". Now in 2011 the wombat will continue his journey, but not alone the wombat has a youngling who knows how to dig. 2015 and its a new beginning , time goes on and the journey to the 2016 World Masters is under way.

Wednesday, July 8, 2009

City to Surf...... lets roll.

Don't stress too much about the speed work for this event just yet. A runners focus who is just beginning would be to start to build up a base on which to work with... Aim to get out every day and if need be take the Friday off.... Some simple plans would revolve around walk one day, run the next then on the walk days introduce some running sections.

For an intermediate runner spend the next few weeks (July) building on you ability to run , at pace, over the 12km . this could involve run steady state for 5 days of the week and incorporating 2 tempo runs into the week where you wind up over the distance. Basically just run and don't get too caught up in the sessions..

The City to Surf starts at the bottom of a hill, in fact a significantly long and steep hill. This can be daunting for any runner but it is only an issue if you have never run up a hill or you go out like a mad man/woman at the start of the race and then spend the next 11km wondering who poured concrete into your legs?

At the end of the day we don't plan to fail, we simply fail to plan.... Go one just get out there and run and enjoy being outside.

Barrel on wombats...

1 comment:

  1. Wombat Worrier you are an inspiration to all of us especially the one like i am that wants so much to get off the arse and get fit again. After reading through your web page the admiration i have for you has grown 10 fold for me. There are days when i think i can take on the world and others where i feel like curling up in a ball away from the world. The mind games are incredible and ye i find any pathetic little excuse not to put my shoes on and walk out that door because thats easier. I too believe that age is not a factor when it comes to getting out there and achieving your goals its like you said in a few of your entries its the mind games thats the struggle. I am going to do my best and put them shoes and everyday now and keep reading your entries to keep myself motivated. THANK YOU Wombat Worrier and keep running like the wind ;))

    ReplyDelete