About Me

My photo
The older I get the better I was... but after many years of idle burrowing the candle of desire is still burning and I have come to realise that running is as much a part of me as my heart and lungs... In Christmas 2008 I was 82kg and was not running a step..This is my journey , the journey of the wombat...Dogged...determined...persistent...and maybe a little grumpy.. but like the wombat my journey is territorial, its about running and I am going to work to protect it...Come along for the ride and see if I can become the wombat warrior. 2009 was a mixed bag for the wombat's journey.A top ten placing in both the Bridges and the City Surf brought a small sense of achievement but also a degree of frustration.... I think I can do better and better I will in 2010. A better run in the Busso Half iron man in support of TV in his swim and bike ride and that was about the extent of my racing. Lets see what happens in 2010 as "My journey Continues". Now in 2011 the wombat will continue his journey, but not alone the wombat has a youngling who knows how to dig. 2015 and its a new beginning , time goes on and the journey to the 2016 World Masters is under way.

Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Along the Southern Coast

The last week was spent running about Augusta while I vacationed with family and friends at the Turner Caravan Park. This was usually into a howling coastal wind on the out journey. The bonus of this was that I had it behind me for the return journey.
This is a basic rule of running for out and back courses and one that I put to good practise over the week that I ran in Augusta. This way when I was tired and heading home I had nature lending me a hand.

Switching to miles, or back to miles, has also made a difference to my mind set which is definitely  something I needed to happen. Everything aches at the moment , but again, I expected this and just need to punch through it as my body adapts to being asked to do something that hurts. Looking forward to more enjoyable runs soon.

The shortness of breath continues to hamper me at times and on one run which I did out at Foul Beach along the Cape to Cape trail, I found myself having to stop in an attempt top draw a breath. I'm finding this more and more frustrating  as I know it is the main reason I am reluctant to start doing harder sessions for fear of collapsing. Initial heart checks involving an ultra sound, running on a treadmill and wearing 24 hour monitor  have revealed nothing yet it still frightens me when it happens as I am usually running by myself.

Anyway on a less depressing note, it was good to get out of Perth for a little while and have a run in an area that I was unfamiliar with and while everything hurt and it was a struggle , as I know it will be while I build a base , the Southern Coast had some great trails and wonderful scenery. I even bumped into Glen Quartermaine, who was on holidays as well and it was good to see him getting ready for his next marathon assault.

Since getting back to Perth I have kept the ball rolling and even stepped up to a 5 miler where the pace was almost at 7 minutes per mile , something that was an easy task many years ago but needs to be worked at currently. My goal is to get really comfortable at this pace again and flow rather than push, which is the norm at the moment.


Barrel on wombats....

No comments:

Post a Comment