About Me

My photo
The older I get the better I was... but after many years of idle burrowing the candle of desire is still burning and I have come to realise that running is as much a part of me as my heart and lungs... In Christmas 2008 I was 82kg and was not running a step..This is my journey , the journey of the wombat...Dogged...determined...persistent...and maybe a little grumpy.. but like the wombat my journey is territorial, its about running and I am going to work to protect it...Come along for the ride and see if I can become the wombat warrior. 2009 was a mixed bag for the wombat's journey.A top ten placing in both the Bridges and the City Surf brought a small sense of achievement but also a degree of frustration.... I think I can do better and better I will in 2010. A better run in the Busso Half iron man in support of TV in his swim and bike ride and that was about the extent of my racing. Lets see what happens in 2010 as "My journey Continues". Now in 2011 the wombat will continue his journey, but not alone the wombat has a youngling who knows how to dig. 2015 and its a new beginning , time goes on and the journey to the 2016 World Masters is under way.

Friday, September 11, 2009

Back to the beginning.....

Time to refocus.. After the 2009 City to Surf the Wombat took three days off. Ran with no watch and did not care if I got out or not. In years gone by I would have continued to run and got straight back into the sessions. With my fitness levels at the stage that they are I felt that the " Take is nice and easy enjoy life" approach was more suitable.

As I reflect on where I have come from as a runner I noted that above all else my volume steadily increased over time. Possibly in some ways the increase was too slow and , in hind sight, may have hindered earlier results however ultimately it enabled me to build strength. Strength as a distance runner is the basic foundation along with endurance.

Too often I see young runners out there doing these mammoth sessions off very little base. Yes they do develop some great speed but when push comes to shove and the pace is on from the gun they have nothing to put down on the table. A great finishing kick with very little else.

The body needs time to absorb the mileage and adapt to the demands that a runner will put on it and to do this it takes time. Young guns don't be impatient, take the time to build the mileage. Put in the time, do the long runs, build up to running twice a day every day, 7 days a weeks, 52 weeks a year and you will get there in terms of reaching your own potential.

Barrel on wombats.....

No comments:

Post a Comment